Fly Fusion Forums

Lake O'hara / Yellowstone National Park

Realizing the two are completely different topics, I'll be on vacation on two seperate trips this next month. Has anybody fished at either Lake O'Hara or Yellowstone National Park (in Wyoming)? I've heard Yellowstone should be a good time ... but have no clue about Lake O'Hara. I'll be backpacking for the week so I wonder if it's worthwhile to lug my fishing kit along. Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I've never actually fished the lake, but when climbing in the area I've seen quite a few rising. The trout are natives, so there will still be fish in the lake, as well as in the upper meadow portion of the creek draining the lake. A couple of the fish I saw cruising looked to be 12-14 inches.

I was just down in Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago. Haven't posted any of the pic's yet but it was a cool trip. Hit the Yellowstone River just outside the lake on the day it opened, pretty busy but some nice sized fish in there for sure. Also some cool views, small geysers (sp), buffalo, etc. Lot’s of anglers as well though. Yellowstone is a busy place in general. But like every where, walk far enough and the "crowds" thin immensely. I also tried the Firestone River in Yellowstone but the water was so hot I quit. I don't know what the weather's been like lately but lots of rivers had voluntary closures from noon-6 or 8 PM. The Upper Madison is also there but because of the temps I didn't even wet a line... definitely strong evidence to support my case for a return trip. In Grand Teton there is the Grade Verde or something like that. I don't know how mobile you'll be while you're there but the Snake River tail out outside Jackson (just inside Idaho) is supposed to be unreal. Yellowstone regulations are unique, can't fish before 5 or 6 AM or after 10 PM. Send me a PM if you want more info, I think I still have a copy of the reg's and some maps some where around here.

Just spent some time both in Idaho on the aforementioned snake river tailout (Pallisades, ID), and came back along US191 through Ennis. All reports are that the fishing is good... even superb.. at the Snake in Idaho (I think they call it the south fork of the snake there... can't remember). We delivered a home on the reservoir that the pallisades damn makes. The guys were saying that lake has something for everyone, browns, lakers, rainbow, cutt, bull, bass, perch, sunfish, etc.. kokanee salmon..

Stopped at a rest area south of Ennis (right along the Madison R.) and watched some guys pulling a few fish out from behind the rocks. The madison is a VERY different river... it's just one big long riffle, there are LITERALLY no slowdowns, pools, tailouts, nothing visible from the road at least. Very unique. I'd imagine that the fish mostly hide out behind all the rocks strewn all over the river. Would be a difficult pontoon ride... with all the obstrucutions.

Thanks for all of the comments! I am very much looking forward to Lake O'Hara this weekend - I've heard much the same in that it is one of the most beautifull places in the rockies. I broke down and bought a new Sage 4 peice (5wt) to fit in my pack a little better ;) Can't wait to break it in!

My time in Yellowstone is actually quite flexible ... and by the sounds of it, I'll have my fair share of area's to explore. Thanks for all of the comments and advice.

I'll provide updates when I return - hopefully I'll have some good pictures to show for it!

Cheers

A bit late 'cause I just returned from vacation but for future reference - I fished O'Hara last summer for some short times during a family trip last year and had good luck. I slipped a tungsten bead above an olive GRHE (10-12), cast it out and let it sink (floating line). I then did a slow hand twist retrieve - essentially a chironomid technique from shore - and had three to hand in about 2 hours total time (evenings). The toughest part was keeping the steeple cast above the trees with the weighted nymph. The cuts were good fighters and hit hard.

We ended up staying at the Abbott Hut for two nights - I must say, I was not very excited about lugging my gear up there, but it was an absolutely amazing place to crash for a few nights! Only managed to fish for about an hour on the last day of the trip (Monday, 1:00 - 2:00) but had pretty decent luck with some elk hair caddis (gold body) in the North Bay and the little stream that exits (1 x 14-16" cuttie brought in, 1 lost).

On the bus ride back down I was chatting with a gentleman who camped right at Lake O'Hara. He had really good luck on the Sunday night (apparantly pulling in about 25 cut's).

On a seperate note, I was talking with one of the Rangers and she informed my that this is the last year the Lake will be open for fishing ...

Off to Yellowstone / Zion Canyon for a few weeks now!

post-572-1186506576.jpeg