Fly Fusion Forums

Pink Salmon Picture Thread

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

Because the salmon time of the year is upon us, I am starting a thread of pictures of the past years for salmon along with any caught this year can be thrown in as well.

Here are some pink salmon that i have caught over the years on the fly rod. All at Campbell river in the fly only section.

Feel free to post your pics of the smallest salmon of the bunch!

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture044.jpg my dad coming off the river in the thunderstorm

P8100479.jpg

P8110491.jpg one of the bigger salmon of the bunch 5-7lbs

P8110486.jpg

P8120494.jpg

P8120495.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Taken from the ocean! Damn these fish taste good on the smoker :D

P8310191.jpg One of the few that were taking from the ocean (fraser river run 2007)

Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Guest Jeremie

Pink/chartrueses/ Blues, anything in those colours, or even purples. Anything smaller then size 2 flies swung on a 10 ft salmon/steelhead sink tip across the bottom of a deep pool. Make sure you are holding the line because the faintest drag or tap is the salmon mouthing the fly because the fish are passive striking, not a feeding strike (although i managed to stick one on a dry last year)

Passing bite/strike = fly passed acrossed the face of the fish or put on the nose of the fish which then the fish proceeds to "taste it". Feeding bite/Strike = fish are feeding on an aquatic or flying insect.

Pinks will generally hit ("taste") anything presented properly. And if the right conditions call for, you can catch them on Poppers, like chum, coho, and chinooks. They will also strike in agression. A great way to catch them through agression is an egg sucking leach stripped in front of their faces!

When you first start off you are going to be snagging quite a few fish because the river is basically carpetted with salmon.

Tight lines guys! Good luck this year if you head out and hopefully i will meet a few of you!

Love that river...looks like you guys were at the Lower Island Pool. Nothing better than kicking back for a day in the same spot and having the salmon all come to you.

Spend some time down the street at Haig Brown's house, then a beer on the deck of Painter's Lodge watching the boats come in in the evening. I got to get back.

Guest Jeremie

Dont mean to correct you but reds are sockeye salmon. They have no spots on there tails which is the main characteristic of the pink salmon or the other name for it, humpy salmon.