Fly Fusion Forums

Old Hardy Bamboo Rod, "the Fairy"

I was at some friends for dinner the other night and my hostess pulled out two beautiful bamboo rods, one of which was a Hardy. I have never fished bamboo. The rods were her grandfathers or great-grandfathers and are estimated to be used ca. 1930 or possibly 30 years earlier.

I have searched the internet, but without much success. The rod appear to be a 10 ft. rod. It says in ink above th grip:

Palakona

No 2446936

"The Fairy"

It includes a bag and tube, an extra tip section and is in great condition.

Below the rod seat it says Hardy Bros., Alenwick and gives a number, "2186C".

Can anyone tell me where I could find out more info?

The other rod is a lighter rod, maybe a 4 wt. 8ft rod made by H.L. Leonard by Leonard and Mills Co.

Both are beautiful rods. The detailing on the Hardy is amazing.

I doubt the Hardy is worth that much, likely in the $300 range. The Leonard on the other hand, depending on condition, are you sitting down???? $2000+. Generally short rods and American rods are worth more than long rods or English rods. English rods tend to be more of a "pole" than a rod, Leonards, Paynes and Orvis' cane are the desired species, especially 8 - 8 1/2' or less. I'd say if they have been leaning in the closet for 30 years thier value is substantially less.

Try here, has an index of serial numbers, rods,reels, etc.

http://www.hardyandgreyscanada.com