Fly Fusion Forums

A Few Hours On The Bow Tomorrow?

Hi Everyone:

So dad and I are on our way to the Czech nymphing course on Saturday at the Crow. Friday night is a stopover at my Aunt's in Okotoks.

So we were thinking of fishing the Bow tomorrow for 3-4 hours. Any hints on places that are relatively easy for walk and wade and have fishy water? Of course, we're talking the Bow, so virtually everywhere there is fish, but I'd like to go somewhere fairly close to the highway (as in no further east than Policeman's). I really can't say I know the Bow that well in the city, but I hear lots of guys fish in Fish Creek Park. Would it be better to go Fish Creek or Policeman's? The zoo? Is there access at the "new" bridge, a la Deerfoot?

Any help would be appreciated, without divulging the GPS cooridnates to your favorite run of course.

And if you'd like join us Edmontonians, let me know. Pm me or email me smitty9@gmail.com

Mike

Edit: Just thought of this; how much rain are you guys getting? The river fishable? I'll check the AB gov't website of course...

Yes, yes, yes and yes!! :P

Seriously, though, all the places you list have great water all around them. Fish Creek tends to attract quite a few spin and fly anglers as well as a lot of rubber neckers and people asking stupid questions, that being said, I fish there regularly and rarely see others near me or if i do they (usually keep to themselves). Closer to downtown (zoo) access, i.e. parking can be an issue. Deerfoor extention bridge and Policemen's are all closer to where you will be hiding in Okotoks so less time drivng = more time fishing...

Enjoy the clinic!

P

<edit> river is totally fishable, in fact as you have probably read, best dry fly action in quite a number of years!

Hi Everyone:

So dad and I are on our way to the Czech nymphing course on Saturday at the Crow. Friday night is a stopover at my Aunt's in Okotoks.

So we were thinking of fishing the Bow tomorrow for 3-4 hours. Any hints on places that are relatively easy for walk and wade and have fishy water? Of course, we're talking the Bow, so virtually everywhere there is fish, but I'd like to go somewhere fairly close to the highway (as in no further east than Policeman's). I really can't say I know the Bow that well in the city, but I hear lots of guys fish in Fish Creek Park. Would it be better to go Fish Creek or Policeman's? The zoo? Is there access at the "new" bridge, a la Deerfoot?

Any help would be appreciated, without divulging the GPS cooridnates to your favorite run of course.

And if you'd like join us Edmontonians, let me know. Pm me or email me smitty9@gmail.com

Mike

Edit: Just thought of this; how much rain are you guys getting? The river fishable? I'll check the AB gov't website of course...