Fly Fusion Forums

Czech Nymphing On The Crow

reevesr1

Hit the Crow today to learn how to Czech Nymph with John Bransfield teaching. I was joined by reellife (tim) and headscan (marc). We had a blast learning this technique on this gorgeous body of water. Only problem was all the damn hatches going on distracting us! Actually, it is not easy, nor effective to cast salmon flies on a like 20 ft mono leader with 6 lb maxima (and a 10 ft 6 wt rod!!) Got some refusals and a couple of misses, but mostly we did stick with the nymphing and lots of fish, some very nice, were caught. The biggest was caught by Tim, and is pictured below along with some other shots from the day. I'm sure Marc and Tim have more.

Thanks guys for the great time, and thanks John for the lesson. BTW, I HIGHLY recommend taking this course as it it highly effective and goes to help fund the Junior National Team;

Finally, ignore any forthcoming posts about "low holing" or 'hole jumping" or "head of run hogging."

First stop:

p7030005.jpg

The boys rigging up:

p7030008x.jpg

p7030009ffi.jpg

Hard to nymph with these flying around......

p7040013.jpg

p7040019.jpg

A little rain never hurt anyone, but hail can be tough on the fly rod!

p7040014.jpg

Tim's big fish:

p7040015.jpg

p7040017.jpg

p7040018.jpg

Thanks for the pics marc. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm better looking low holing, head of run hogging, or hole jumping.

That Amundson looks good, don't it!

I've been looking for a picture of you with a fish. Can't seem to find one.

Thank you John for the great instruction and to my fantastic fishing partners. Someone needs to finds Rick his net so he can practice his netting skills-would be a shame to lose a nice fish because your partner was a bit rusty! Thanks Rick and Marc for the photos and all your help. The Crow is a beautiful river in a beautiful setting with beautiful fish.

The truth is that if it hadn't been a "class", we surely would have switched. That said, I don't think it is an accident that we got several pretty pretty large fish for the body of water AFTER groups had been through that water.

And yeah Jay, that was a pig of a rainbow. Tim seemed surprised that it was pulling as hard as it was. When I went down below and saw it, I said "you are going to be shocked at how big this fish is!!"

But really, most of them were fat-what with chowing down on stones and salmonflies!!

The pictures look awesome guys!

You were all very easy to teach and you all caught on very quickly! It provided for a great day on the water!!

It was pretty sweet how you guys pulled multiple 16-20" fish from water that a few people had been through before, I was impressed! I laughed harder with you guys then I have in awhile! It made for a sweet day on the water.

Good to hear that your going with the the greys mark, you wont be disappointed it's a simple awesome little stick!

If anyone else is interested in learning the technique these guys cleaned up with on saturday, check the trading post for more info on the clinic, as I'm hosting one this saturday on the crow and there are two spots left!

Light lines and high sticks!

John

So I fished water this morning that I fish quite often. While it doesn't particularly lend itself to czech nymphing, the lesson did remind me to really fish the water close to me hard. So I high sticked (stuck?) the run much more thoroughly than I normally do. And hello Brown Trout! Not that I hooked more fish than I normally do, but I did hook bigger fish.

Anyway, I highly recommend this course to anyone. It will teach you to look at water a bit differently.

All that said, I have some really fast water in mind for this.........