Fly Fusion Forums

A Couple Of Prototypes

Bigtoad

I've been on a fly tying binge lately and have been trying out some new ideas (at least for me). I'm not a great tier by any means but I impressed myself with these ones.

This is a stimmie but I thought why not add some sweet legs to these things? Body is fuzzy foam wrapped around. Should I be copyrighting this thing or am I so far behind the times that I think I'm ahead?

Does anyone have a favorite adult golden stone imitation that they prefer on the Bow? I love the Chernobyl ant but I'm trying to find some other options for when they want something a bit different.

P7020022.jpg

This one is my first attempt at a Trico spinner. I added the post for visibility. Any suggestions?

P7020024.jpg

Cheers.

Hey Bigtoad,

It's a good looing fly. The proportions look great!

You'd have to try it to make sure it doesn't sink with all the fuzzy foam. Of course, a sunk stimmie works great too. Don't worry about copyrighting flies... most things have been done (legs on a stimmie is quite common).

For a PMD spinner that fly would work (also tie it in a rusty brown colour).

For a Trico spinner, go much smaller and thinner. One way to tie is to have 2 black balls of dubbing with the front having spent wings. This imitates a cluster of Tricos. I also tye mine with a dubbing ball in the middle with the wings sticking out the front and back on a larger hook or just a dubbing ball in the center of the shaft and wings sticking out the sides.

Ask FlyFishFairWx about a goldenstone imitation... His "Thing from Uranus" has been preforming quite well for the past 2 seasons. :lol:

Both nice looking flies. I would maybe switch up the dubbing on the trico to a quill or something synthetic. Looks like you used hare's ear dub on that and it may cause it to take on a bit extra water and sink quicker. Mind you, if you treat it with floatant, it should be cool. The post is a great feature. What size did you tie that trico in?

Both nice looking flies. I would maybe switch up the dubbing on the trico to a quill or something synthetic. Looks like you used hare's ear dub on that and it may cause it to take on a bit extra water and sink quicker. Mind you, if you treat it with floatant, it should be cool. The post is a great feature. What size did you tie that trico in?

I tied it on a mustad 2X size 14. Probably too big for a trico but I wanted to get it right before going smaller. Looks pretty freaking small to me already.

Thanks for the input.

Quoting Harps:

"For a Trico spinner, go much smaller and thinner. One way to tie is to have 2 black balls of dubbing with the front having spent wings. This imitates a cluster of Tricos. I also tye mine with a dubbing ball in the middle with the wings sticking out the front and back on a larger hook or just a dubbing ball in the center of the shaft and wings sticking out the sides."

What would you suggest for dubbing material? Do you have any picks of the flies?

Cheers.

Hey Bigtoad,

It's a good looing fly. The proportions look great!

You'd have to try it to make sure it doesn't sink with all the fuzzy foam. Of course, a sunk stimmie works great too. Don't worry about copyrighting flies... most things have been done (legs on a stimmie is quite common).

For a PMD spinner that fly would work (also tie it in a rusty brown colour).

For a Trico spinner, go much smaller and thinner. One way to tie is to have 2 black balls of dubbing with the front having spent wings. This imitates a cluster of Tricos. I also tye mine with a dubbing ball in the middle with the wings sticking out the front and back on a larger hook or just a dubbing ball in the center of the shaft and wings sticking out the sides.

Ask FlyFishFairWx about a goldenstone imitation... His "Thing from Uranus" has been preforming quite well for the past 2 seasons. :lol:

The TTFU is a Salmon Fly imitation, orange dubbing between brown foam and I found it also works for the Golden stones with a colour change to the dubbing..

Thanks for the plug Harps..