Fly Fusion Forums

Took The Wife Fishing

Spent a week in Panorama with the family. It was a fantastic family vacation, with rafting, golf, hiking, mountain biking, etc. The highlight, other than maybe the whitewater rafting, was a guided trip with my wife to a little BC mountain lake. Told the guide I was mostly interested in her catching fish and he took us to a little lake loaded with little brookies. Well, he said it was loaded, but after I missed a fish on the first cast, it was two hours and lots of stops before my wife finally catches the first fish of the day while trolling (you could feel the guide starting to panic a bit!) After that, it was on! This was Jackie's first day, and she only ended up with 3, but missed a bucket load. I don't know how many I caught, but it was pretty fast and furious for a while there. Nothing with any size, but they sure are pretty. I was really impressed that she did not get frustrated, particularly when her jerk of husband is hooking one almost every cast.

Anyway, she seemed completely taken by the whole experience. But she did say that she can't see herself getting into it enough to:

A. Tie on her own flies

B. Undo any tangles herself

C. Unhook her own fish

D. Wade wet

but catching them is sure fun!

But she'd love to start coming with me to the Bow and down south. Will I ever get to fish again? On the upside, maybe she will become a Donnamatrix Light one day!

Anyway, the rivers were all still REALLY high and dirty both from the unnusally high snowfall this year and from a big storm that came in last week which melted a bunch of snowpack. Nothing was really all that fishable, in fact, it got so high on Toby Creek that a rafter was tragically killed.

There are some very, very sweet looking creeks and rivers within an hour of the condo that I plan to check out in September, which is supposed to be fantastic time to fish that area. Can't wait.

I also wanted to put in a plug for Bruce with Kootenay Troutfitters. Great guy, just a blast to fish with, and was as patient as humanly possible with my wife (and probably with me as well)!

Be warned, catching little fairly easy to catch fish is one thing, taking her to the Bow is another... just make sure she knows going in that she probably will not get anything for the first few tries at it, and she might have the stubborness to keep on going until she one day owns the Bow... :lol:

I know my wife had a 2 fish day on the crow (in an hour) and said she had a lot of fun... but we just havent had time to get her fishing again, although she does enjoy coming to the little streams with me and the kids, just to be outdoors...

Be warned, catching little fairly easy to catch fish is one thing, taking her to the Bow is another... just make sure she knows going in that she probably will not get anything for the first few tries at it, and she might have the stubborness to keep on going until she one day owns the Bow... :lol:

I know my wife had a 2 fish day on the crow (in an hour) and said she had a lot of fun... but we just havent had time to get her fishing again, although she does enjoy coming to the little streams with me and the kids, just to be outdoors...

Thanks hawgstoppah, already warned her. She is much more likely to fish with me down south on a camping trip, though she may now stalk the bank a little with me on the Bow.

The same certainly applies to me as well. The bow don't always treat me kindly either!

I have read that it is better for a guide or other teacher to instruct one's spouse in the art of flyangling, so that the couple's day to day dynamics don't get in the way. So good on yer for going the guided route.

As for the list of dislikes at this point, everything changes. A net and a hemostat make unhooking your own fish less of a slimefest, though it does seem to take a little more coordination to handle three things with only two hands. Wind knots can be cut off instead of untangled if you happen to enjoy rebuilding your leader and tippet instead.

I don't care for wading wet either! Brrrrr. A lot of ladies have a thermostat that's just set a little lower than a man's. I've been known to wear my longsleeved wading jacket on days when my buddies are sweating it out in t-shirts and vests.

Anyway, yes, I do think it's a good idea to fish with your wife. It helps a great deal if your best friend and lifemate understands what makes you happy. I hope that this is the beginning of a wonderful new adventure for you both.

I uttered those exact same words with the addition of "I don't do bugs well", some 9 years ago. And here I am today. And here I am today - walking with the bears and cougars fighting off the bugs and hooking myself left right and centre. Keep at 'er....taking her on the Bow will definitely help if you set her expectations before going out.

I have read that it is better for a guide or other teacher to instruct one's spouse in the art of flyangling, so that the couple's day to day dynamics don't get in the way. So good on yer for going the guided route.

Learned that one from trying to give golf tips. Ooohh the pain! Never again, let the professionals teach!

I'll be taking her again sometime this month. I hope she does get into it, she really is fun to do things with.

I can't help you at all. My wife thinks fishing is cruel.

The only time I had her out fishing she was lake fishing in a boat with a fishing buddy and I. I hooked into a very large rainbow and she was going to "man" the net once I got the fish close. After at least a 10 minute battle that took me into my backing, I got the fish to the boat - she was ready with the net, and when it got close enough...she froze. Both my buddy and I were asking he why she wouldn't just lift the net and bring the fish in. Her response was that she looked into the fish's eyes and he looked scared, so she couldn't scoop him up with the net. We finally got the fish in, but by the time we did, she was sobbing.

She now delights in telling everyone that she shares the views of the woman in that chick flick, "Catch and Release" who says something like "I don't understand catch and release fishing - if you're going to torture some poor creature for your amusement, then at least have the decency to eat it".

I can't see her coming onto to the river with me any time soon.

Good luck Rick.

Just happened to take my better half out on sunday for her first fishing trip.We went out to Winchell Lk. hoping to get her into a fish.I set her up with a floating line on one of my 5 wt rods and tied on a bh hairs ear.She wasn't comfortable casting from a float tube so I showed her how to just let line out as she finned along.5 minutes later she gets her first hook up but lost it on the second jump,that got her excited.She got about 10 hits in half an hour but still needs to work on her hook set.Finally she hooked up and was able to land an 11 inch bow.She won't touch the fish but I showed her how to release a fish without touching it.

I let her use an old Caddis tube I have laying around and she wasn't quite comfortable in it,so we made a side trip to the Fishin Hole that afternoon and got her a Fish Cat 4.It's going on its maiden voyage thursday afternoon to Winchell again.

I'm just stoked over this.We've been married 25 years in August and this is the first time she's showed any interest in fishing.Now I've got a new fishin pard.

Just happened to take my better half out on sunday for her first fishing trip.We went out to Winchell Lk. hoping to get her into a fish.I set her up with a floating line on one of my 5 wt rods and tied on a bh hairs ear.She wasn't comfortable casting from a float tube so I showed her how to just let line out as she finned along.5 minutes later she gets her first hook up but lost it on the second jump,that got her excited.She got about 10 hits in half an hour but still needs to work on her hook set.Finally she hooked up and was able to land an 11 inch bow.She won't touch the fish but I showed her how to release a fish without touching it.

I let her use an old Caddis tube I have laying around and she wasn't quite comfortable in it,so we made a side trip to the Fishin Hole that afternoon and got her a Fish Cat 4.It's going on its maiden voyage thursday afternoon to Winchell again.

I'm just stoked over this.We've been married 25 years in August and this is the first time she's showed any interest in fishing.Now I've got a new fishin pard.

25 years, eh? You'll be lucky to make it to 26 now that you won't be getting that break from each other that your fishing has been

providing!

First dibs on the Fish Cat 4 when the divorce is final. :P

Be warned if your wives get deep into fly fishing....

You won't be able to go out and buy those fishing "Accessories" that you "Really need", because if she gets too educated, she'll know that you don't need them <_<

I'm lucky that my wife lost interest after a few fish and said it wasn't for her. She comes occassionally, but usually just reads a book on the bank, so I can still spend recklessly on equipment and accessories that I "Want"...errr, I mean "need".

"Honey, my rod has pretty much had it, so I think I'll go down to Gord's and pick up that new T & T H2"....

"How much?......and didn't you just get a new Sage?"

"It was over $1000 bucks, but if I pick it up now, He'll give it to me for $850, and that Sage was a gift from a client and is totally the wrong type of rod for the fishing I do.".....

"What Ever" :D

A few of my buddies on the other hand, not so lucky. :lol:

Lessons for the better half are a great investment. I even took a casting lesson with my girlfriend last year for our 2 year anniversary. Went through Tyson at Troutfitters and he was able to get her casting in no time. We only fish together occasionally but I try to make those trips to small ponds so she doesn't get frustrated with having to manage the drifting line. The first fish she caught on a dry fly was quite the show...she nearly dropped the rod in excitement!

Quick question: my gf has miss placed her license. Is there any way to get it replaced?

mkm

Lessons for the better half are a great investment. I even took a casting lesson with my girlfriend last year for our 2 year anniversary. Went through Tyson at Troutfitters and he was able to get her casting in no time. We only fish together occasionally but I try to make those trips to small ponds so she doesn't get frustrated with having to manage the drifting line. The first fish she caught on a dry fly was quite the show...she nearly dropped the rod in excitement!

Quick question: my gf has miss placed her license. Is there any way to get it replaced?

mkm

Just to be clear, are you replacing the licence or the gf ? :P

Be warned if your wives get deep into fly fishing....

You won't be able to go out and buy those fishing "Accessories" that you "Really need", because if she gets too educated, she'll know that you don't need them <_<

I'm lucky that my wife lost interest after a few fish and said it wasn't for her. She comes occassionally, but usually just reads a book on the bank, so I can still spend recklessly on equipment and accessories that I "Want"...errr, I mean "need".

"Honey, my rod has pretty much had it, so I think I'll go down to Gord's and pick up that new T & T H2"....

"How much?......and didn't you just get a new Sage?"

"It was over $1000 bucks, but if I pick it up now, He'll give it to me for $850, and that Sage was a gift from a client and is totally the wrong type of rod for the fishing I do.".....

"What Ever" :D

A few of my buddies on the other hand, not so lucky. :lol:

Never had that problem as long as I don't bankrupt the budget.She'd rather see me spend $2000.00 on a new O/U shotgun or new flyrods than piss it away in a bar or gambling like some guys I know.I kinda feel sorry for a freind of mine,he has to account for every dollar he spends while she can spend all she wants on fufu crap and playing bingo.

I do have too many irons in the fire though,fly fishing and tying,big game hunting (rifle & archery) so there's reloading supplies and arrow making supplies,migratory and upland hunting again more reloading and two hunting dogs,had three.In all these years my loving wife has never complained,well except for the dogs :rolleyes:,she's a cat person.I haven't told her about the big game hunt to Africa yet that I'm planning.That one mighy be a tough sell :unsure: .