Fly Fusion Forums

A Lake For The Calgary Area!

Hey guy's I was recently working on a house that backs onto Cochrane Lakes in a small sub-division that has been on the lake for many years i was asking the owner about pike populations in the lake and he said that years ago the lake dried up completely and totally killed the lake. Recently three years ago a developer came in and developed the east side of the lake in order to make it a "lake community" the developer refilled the lake and now is providing a constant water source to the lake to avoid it drying up. The info i have on the lake thus far is that there are sections that are 12 feet deep. Some have told me that the ice stays fairly thin in the winter which leads me to suspect spring fed. I have brought this lake to the attention of Jim Stealfox and he has stated that this lake if it meets certain requirements could be a prime candidate for a great fishery close to the calgary area. The requirements are: there is public access (which there is), That the water does not go above 23 degrees Celsius during the hottest part of the year, that it has good oxygen levels during the summer and they need to know the average depth. I am looking for any information that anyone might have on this lake and also someone who might have a canoe and a saturday to go out with me on the lake and gather some info needed to make the next step in turning this body of water back into a productive fishery. Thanks to anyone who can help feel free to post or PM me. Jared.