Fly Fusion Forums

An Irishman, A Canadian, And A Texan Went Fishing

reevesr1

Well, the fishing wasn't all that with only 7 trout, mostly little, landed between the 3 of us. But the trip was just fantastic. Fishing the Castle system and some smaller streams, all new water to us, was a blast. We walked miles and miles and were all exhausted by the end of the day. I can honestly say that the time I got to spend with my friends while witnessing these rivers and streams transitioning from spring towards their summer glory more than made up for it. I have some great water to fish in a few weeks!!

Kevin (kungfool) probably has better shots as I am not much of a photographer. Anyway, here is my short journal of the day

Locked and Loaded, South Calgary, 6 AM

p6150002u.jpg

The first stop, love the sandwiches.

p6150004zwt.jpg

Obligatory Windmill shot-and they were spinning like mad all day I'm sure:

p6150007.jpg

First stop, first look at the river. Blood was pumping!

p6150008.jpg

First run of the day, already re-rigging. Damn trees!

p6150011h.jpg

Heading further south:

p6150014.jpg

Davy and Kevin at stop #2

p6160015.jpg

Davy trying to decide where to cross Creek #3. I absolutely cannot wait to fish this water again.

p6160016k.jpg

Way up on the ridge above creek #3:

p6160017.jpg

I would have taken some pics on the way home, but it was dark. Leg cramps when I got home from all the walking. I would say I'm getting too old for this *hit, but that ain't true. I can still hang with the young 'uns, mostly.

Anyway, thanks boys for the great day!!

I am a lucky, lucky man.

Dang it, I had this posted in yer "double post", then you asked the mods to delete it! :D

Good thing there's 'copy & paste'!

Too bad the trout weren't a little more cooperative for y'all, Rick.

Beautiful country down there, ain't it?

Rode horses all around the ski hill area rounding up cattle for a weekend, each fall for 3 years; quite a few years ago.

Only fished down there once; caught a bunch of cutties, saw a bull swim past my feet- so big, my heart palpitates just

remembering it! Bet the fishing will be much better soon...

Later,

Steve

What an incredible experience this trip was for me, and I would like to thank Rick, and Davie for sharing it with me. I have been threatening to fish these areas for many many years. To finally visit them with 2 fine gentlemen, who are also fine fly fishermen, just made it that much better.

It's funny how our perspectives change as we grow older and more experienced. When I was a younger man I may not have enjoyed this trip as much as I actually did since there was a time when catching lots of fish was important to me. Even though I only put one little Cutty in my hand after all the miles of bushwacking, & sweating I came home feeling like the luckiest man on the planet.

This was one of those trips that you never forget.

Oh... and Rick, Ill post a few shots tonight including that pretty bow you landed at our first stop.

Hmmm... When did Texas become it's own country?! Shouldn't your title read, "An Irishman, A Canadian, And An AMERICAN"?! <--poke--< <--poke--< LoL

Glad you guys got into some fish in some beautiful country!!

P