Fly Fusion Forums

Firewire Download Using Pinnacle From An Old Camcorder

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Just trying to see if I can quickly download video to the computer using the Pinnacle Board and the Firewire. I was told at Future shop we could but it seems like we are missing a cable from USB to Firewire.

Anyone ever try this. The wife is getting frustrated with her pet project for the summer.

Thanks

Sun

Hmm, I am not sure about that one. Usually the red, white and yellow are for audio and video and so I would say that you will not be able to connect to a firewire port but perhaps can connect them to your audio/video ports on a capture board. What is the pinnacle board? Is it capable of doing video capture?

When you say usb to firewire, are you saying usb on the camera to firewire on the computer? If so, why not just go usb to usb? You will not get the speed of firewire unless both sides of the connection are talking the same protocol.

Guest Sundancefisher
Hmm, I am not sure about that one. Usually the red, white and yellow are for audio and video and so I would say that you will not be able to connect to a firewire port but perhaps can connect them to your audio/video ports on a capture board. What is the pinnacle board? Is it capable of doing video capture?

When you say usb to firewire, are you saying usb on the camera to firewire on the computer? If so, why not just go usb to usb? You will not get the speed of firewire unless both sides of the connection are talking the same protocol.

The wife bought this thing http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...+version+12.htm

as she was told we needed it to be able to transfer from our old camcorder (tape) to computer.

You should be able to hook up the camera using the red / white / yellow in the front and then from the output in the back, it's just a USB connection, to the computer. Depending on your windows version, it should get a prompt to install new hardware.

Looking at the link you attached it is a firewire output (IEEE1394) to the computer. I think you are going to need to buy a firewire card for your computer if you don't already have that type of port. I am not sure if I have ever seen a firewire to USB adapter. I bought a firewire PCI card for my computer from MemoryExpress for transfering HD video from my camera and it works great and simple to install.

Guest Sundancefisher
Looking at the link you attached it is a firewire output (IEEE1394) to the computer. I think you are going to need to buy a firewire card for your computer if you don't already have that type of port. I am not sure if I have ever seen a firewire to USB adapter. I bought a firewire PCI card for my computer from MemoryExpress for transfering HD video from my camera and it works great and simple to install.

We bought Pinnacle which has the video capture device and editing software. We bought the Firewire card because Future shop said that would help make it work.

Our video is flickering when downloading. Maybe our video card or audio card is a problem. We are at a loss and the wife is not happy. The wife not happy affects my fishing... Sighhh.

My only thought is that I need a better video card.

I wonder if this is what we need?

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/T...mp;sku=A1970910

Sincerely.

Computer challenged...

I am not sure if that device will get you any further as it appears to provide the same functionality as the Pinnacle device. Does the video that you captured flicker as well when you try and play it back after?

It is possible that your computer can't handle the processing, be it memory, processor or video card, of the incomming video while trying to display as well as writing it to the harddrive. All of this is fairly intensive on the system.

Guest Sundancefisher
I am not sure if that device will get you any further as it appears to provide the same functionality as the Pinnacle device. Does the video that you captured flicker as well when you try and play it back after?

It is possible that your computer can't handle the processing, be it memory, processor or video card, of the incomming video while trying to display as well as writing it to the harddrive. All of this is fairly intensive on the system.

We upgraded the RAM to 8 gig. Lots of hard drive space. Standard video card (this is what I think is the problem). Computer should work based upon having ample speed etc. looking at the system recommendations...