Fly Fusion Forums

Single Handed Casting Clinic

So, like most of you, I can cast a single hander. I can fish it, catch fish and generally do fine with anything wet but that's where my cast sort of stops. I cannot present a dry all that skillfully because my single handed skills were weened on nymphing and sinking lines and therefore is pretty terrible when you break it down for delicacy and accuracy. Does anyone know of any good clinics coming up for intermediate single handed casting?

al

So, like most of you, I can cast a single hander. I can fish it, catch fish and generally do fine with anything wet but that's where my cast sort of stops. I cannot present a dry all that skillfully because my single handed skills were weened on nymphing and sinking lines and therefore is pretty terrible when you break it down for delicacy and accuracy. Does anyone know of any good clinics coming up for intermediate single handed casting?

al

Check out Jim Mclennan's website. He has some awesome clinics that take place on both the Bow and the Crow.

Jims website

I totally recommend Jim McLennan. I took a Beginners Course taught by him and am taking his Intermediate Course this July.

Failing that, you could talk to any one of the other fine sponsors of this site; Country Pleasures, Fish Tales, Southbow, etc. and inquire as to what they have for courses coming up this spring. Many of them have both group and private lessons available.

Al you cast just fine, you just have to hone your accuracy. set up some targets in your backyard or field and have at her. As with everything the more time spent the better one gets.

pk

Al,

I don't know who PKK has been watching cast, but I'm quite sure it isn't you!

Kidding of course. I suck at dries as well for the same reason as you. Too much time casting nymphs and streamers. But I have found that after a few minutes with dries, I can get a bit more delicate. But accuracy can be a big issue for me. My solution? Just fish dries for cutties. They are dumb and will hit my poorly presented offerings. Makes me feel like a real fisherman.

Whatcha doing tomorrow??????????

Al,

I don't know who PKK has been watching cast, but I'm quite sure it isn't you!

Kidding of course. I suck at dries as well for the same reason as you. Too much time casting nymphs and streamers. But I have found that after a few minutes with dries, I can get a bit more delicate. But accuracy can be a big issue for me. My solution? Just fish dries for cutties. They are dumb and will hit my poorly presented offerings. Makes me feel like a real fisherman.

Whatcha doing tomorrow??????????

I might go w/ target as PKK suggests, I could do that without my wife killing me for heading to the river. Working through this week but I am on the water next week for sure, just not sure which day.

al