Fly Fusion Forums

Global Warming Hits Calgary

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher
Snow in calgary at this time of the year is no surprise I remeber a couple of years back while coaching football it snowed in the middle of August.

Great...more proof of global warming... :cheers:

When I lived in Toronto, some 23 years ago this summer I visited Calgary. It was hot in Toronto, ergo I thought it'd be hot in Calgary. Friends from work took me to the Stampede parade. It was 1 degree and snowed. I had shorts, a t-shirt and my friend's husband's rain poncho. I froze. Then got sick. And vowed I'd never move here.

And haven't we all been snowed out of our campsite on the August long weekend? I sure have. It's Calgary....can't even grow a friggin tomato. And now we gotta wait until July to safely plant. Oy.

Guest Sundancefisher
fly out to Montreal in the am .. 22-24 all weekend...MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its Canada..It snows..that's the way it goes

Dam you for throwing your warm weather in our face...ha ha ha weather flows east ya know!

KARMA!

Boy I hate to dredge this up and get Clive's knickers in a twist....but....and correct me if I'm wrong....isn't global warming not about "warming" per se but more about extreme and unusual weather/temps - ie snowing when it should be sunny and 20?

There is no scientific basis for "extreme and unusual weather/temps". Such misconceptions are a function of instant communications, cells phone cameras, extreme focus on the unusual and society's need to "prove" something that does not exist and our need to scare the bejeebers out of ourselves.

Good news is no news. And bad news is good news.

The earth's "global temperature" has declined for several years in spite of ever increasing CO2 emissions. Dave Spence offers some interesting thoughts on Calgary CTV Weather Notebook:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...mp;s_name=graph

A COLD SPRING HERE. AND THERE. AND EVERYWHERE. - MAY 26

The cold winter and cool spring has had a lot of people asking...what happened to Global Warming? Let's find out. We'll check the data. First, take a look at a graph comparing temperatures to carbon dioxide emissions here. It seems since 2002, while carbon dioxide emssions have been rising, temperatures have been falling. Now, let's look at sea ice levels around the world. Look at the red line at the bottom of the graph, when you click here. Seems sea ice levels are now above normal. And finally, despite the theory that global warming will lead to more tropical storms, this graph from Florida State University shows the tropics are quieter now than in the past 30 years.

What remains to be seen is whether this is a lasting trend. Many scientists believe its due to the fact we're in the negative phase of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. If that's true, prepare for plenty of cool weather ahead. The PDO goes in 30 year phases. It could be a while before its back into its warm phase.

Of course, looking at short term trends and current conditions can neither prove nor disprove a climate theory, but it's data that cannot be ignored.

Naturally the eco-weenies are quick to point that 7 or 8 years is not a significant time line. Well neither is a mere twenty or so years that the earth warmed since the last ice-age scare of the early 70s.

The MOST interesting part of this cooling trend is that none of the IPCC's climate models saw it coming. That is because they made their assumptions based mainly on CO2 which is a non player in climate. "It's the sun stupid," as someone said.

There is nothing global about climate..never has been and never will be. And the climate has always changed...so it is business as usual. We should be well worried if the climate was not changing. It is arrogant for man to think we have power over the sun and oceans that the primary drivers of climate in ways more complex than we can comprehend.

Consider that for every person on earth there are 250,000,000 tonnes of ocean water. If anyone thinks they can control what happens to their personal 250,000,000 tonnes compared to the sun ... they are dreaming. ;)

Temp_Blend.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
It was 30 in Crawford Bay on Wed, which I think is significantly above normal. Just as much proof of the validity of Global Warming as cold and snow today in Calgary invalidates.

Well nice to see you finally see that variability in climate is just that...variability and can not be seen to prove anything...one side or another...

That has always been the main point of scientists trying to understand why the Earth "cools" as well as "warms". <--poke--<