Fly Fusion Forums

Fire Pits

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Send in you dismay now before it is too late... http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Mu...man+by+ward.htm

Hi Alderman.

I heard there is a call to ban fire pits in Calgary. I believe this is a horrible idea. Calgary is a very outdoorsy community and many areas including places like Lake Sundance and certainly some in other areas enjoy their fire pits, roasting marshmallows, cooking hotdogs with friends and family and to take away that is akin to ripping out a valuable portion of our community spirit.

Allowing special interest groups to control and do away with what is already regulated is very sad indeed and takes away the benefit of such activities to the majority. There are more out of control house parties than there will ever be family wiener roasts. The concerns expressed by a few should never take precidence over the proper control of such activities. Putting too much control creates grounds for a police state and in effect forces everyone into their own homes to stew rather than enjoy being outside. Granted some have health problems but you can not reach too far to remove the rights and freedoms of others. For instance...peanuts can be deadly to the unfortunate few but should City Hall ban them and their products from the store shelves in Calgary? Please do not take this too far.

We have many opportunities to improve family values in Calgary and taking away such activities only serves to further segregate parents from their kids, friends from each other at a time when our youth is looking for attention and guidance and positive roles models. My children love inviting friends over to roast marshmallows and wieners and it would be a shame to loose that ability in Calgary. To see the smile and enjoyment on children's faces as they cook the "perfect" marshmallow is priceless. The parks are so extremely busy these days that the opportunity to go camping even is greatly diminished. Quite often fire bans affect the critical time in the mountains when we can enjoy that. Fire bans in the city are heeded and respected. The amount of time during any given year to enjoy a fire outside winter, rain, mosquitoes, work etc. is limited and therefore these precious times are important.

Please let me know if you feel this is a likely outcome or if this fire ban can be averted. Most people in our community are in favour of keeping fire pits.

Sincerely.

Sun

I once sent Joe Ceci an email, two municipal votes ago, before I left out the door telling him why I was not going to vote for his tax is spend liberal ways. When I got back, I found a reply. One of his aids hit reply-all by mistake. It contained the phrase "it looks like someone doesn't like you cutting into his Crispy-Creme habit".

I got an apology from from his aid. Never heard from Ceci. Doesn't surprise me. Why should he bother with the Crispy-Creme crowd?

He got reelected with 80%. Calgary voters are pathetic.

Anybody but Ceci.

Guest Sundancefisher
I once sent Joe Ceci an email, two municipal votes ago, before I left out the door telling him why I was not going to vote for his tax is spend liberal ways. When I got back, I found a reply. One of his aids hit reply-all by mistake. It contained the phrase "it looks like someone doesn't like you cutting into his Crispy-Creme habit".

I got an apology from from his aid. Never heard from Ceci. Doesn't surprise me. Why should he bother with the Crispy-Creme crowd?

He got reelected with 80%. Calgary voters are pathetic.

Anybody but Ceci.

Doesn't anyone realize though that as soon as the alderman unilaterally remove wiener roasts from outside events that wood burning fireplaces will be next.

Looks like an agenda forming in the city NDP and liberal city ranks. Fire pits are small pittances when compared to wood burning fireplaces in the city. How about smokers, wood chips in barbeques? when will it end?

Hello

OK everything you say is true............ however, I have renters living next door. They don't give a rat's ass about much. They have burned garbage and furniture because they were too lazy to take it to the land fill, for god's sake. At times they stoke a roaring fire. Now, they are just 10 feet away from my garage. My siding has melted before from their barbecue. If they put just one log too many on their fire, my garage could go up in flames and I may not even see it. So what laws do I have to protect me? There is limited visibility into the back yard and I can't watch their every move. It's sad that decent people have their privileges taken away because a few cretins. I don't have a good solution, but a simple rule that even these fools understand is 'no'.

Cheers, I guess.

Guest Sundancefisher
Hello

OK everything you say is true............ however, I have renters living next door. They don't give a rat's ass about much. They have burned garbage and furniture because they were too lazy to take it to the land fill, for god's sake. At times they stoke a roaring fire. Now, they are just 10 feet away from my garage. My siding has melted before from their barbecue. If they put just one log too many on their fire, my garage could go up in flames and I may not even see it. So what laws do I have to protect me? There is limited visibility into the back yard and I can't watch their every move. It's sad that decent people have their privileges taken away because a few cretins. I don't have a good solution, but a simple rule that even these fools understand is 'no'.

Cheers, I guess.

There are staged fines. First is $100, second is $500, third is $5000 and other repercussions.

That is horrible you have bad neighbors like that. Putting green or wet wood on once in a blue moon is one thing but sound like bad news with yours. You could sue for new siding and implicate both the owners and renters. Most likely you can argue to match the house as well. All in all call 311 and have them dealt with. I will try and track down the bylaw for you.

Guest Sundancefisher

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Bu...t/Fire+Pits.htm

Fire Pit Regulations

Fire pit regulations are a part of the Community Standards Bylaw 5M2004 (68KB) sections 11-18. This page will provide an overview of these regulations, but please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

What is the law?

All fires must be:

In a fire pit or receptacle constructed of non-combustible material.

In a fire pit built into the bare ground or set upon non-combustible material such as brick or stone (if not in a receptacle).

Not within 2 metres of the property line, building or fence, or beneath any trees or branches (or other combustible materials).

Kept to a reasonable size (under 1m both height and width) so the fire, embers, sparks or dense smoke do not endanger anyone or cause a nuisance on any neighbouring properties.

Fully supervised at all times.

Fully extinguished by 1:00 a.m. You may relight the fire after 10:00 a.m. the following morning.

You must have a means to extinguish the fire on hand at all times. The fire must be extinguished completely, leaving only cold ashes, prior to leaving the fire.

You cannot burn:

Treated or painted lumber

Lumber products containing glue or resin

Wet or unseasoned wood

Leaves, brush or yard waste

Garbage

Rubber, tires or plastic

Animal carcasses or parts

Remember, the Fire Department has the power to enact a fire ban. The Fire Department, Police or a Bylaw Officer may ask you to extinguish your fire when a fire ban is in effect or if you are not complying with the regulations listed above.

Have a complaint?

Fines for contraventions of these regulations range between $300 and $5000. Repeat offenses of these regulations may result in a fire being banned on a premises. If you would like to report an infraction please:

Call 9-1-1 - if the concern is an emergency in nature

Call 3-1-1 - or 403-268-CITY (2489) - if calling from outside Calgary - if the concern is not an emergency in nature, or

Contact us

What I don't understand is why the city is thinking of banning fire pits...why not enforce the bylaw instead? Take a few of the friendly peace officiers off of photoradar and put them on to tracking fires at night...save me some money!