Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing

Here I go again dissecting nymphing technique :).

Here's what I do. When nymphing at distance I usually cast, more like lob, the rig with a big ugly loop about 45 degrees upstream. Within a certain range I find I can reach mend during the cast to position the indicator upstream of the rig and line to where I want it. However, when fishing out a little further I will roll cast the indicator upstream, I can also get the rig out further again if desired by doing this. Then mend accordingly. This seems to work for me; with a six weight I can get some great distance with this. I'm wondering how yall get er done.

Similar, but it all depends on which side of the river I'm on (good side vs. bad side). Not a great roll caster on my bad side as the current takes the line down pretty fast. A good rod with lots of spine sure helps!!

P

Here I go again dissecting nymphing technique :).

Here's what I do. When nymphing at distance I usually cast, more like lob, the rig with a big ugly loop about 45 degrees upstream. Within a certain range I find I can reach mend during the cast to position the indicator upstream of the rig and line to where I want it. However, when fishing out a little further I will roll cast the indicator upstream, I can also get the rig out further again if desired by doing this. Then mend accordingly. This seems to work for me; with a six weight I can get some great distance with this. I'm wondering how yall get er done.

I pretty much do the same. Of all methods I'm best at nymphing and it works for me the way you described. The most important thing once it's in the water of course is the drift. It's kind of like golf, drive for show putt for dough - cast for show, drift for dough. At least for nymphing in my mind. I really need to work on my dry fly skills.

If your good at casting all that rig out to begin with what you can try is sorta lke a "reach cast" that you do for dry flies, but as the nymphs are getting close to landing. Just cast normal and after you finish coming through your last stroke and the rig passes over you on it's way to the river, reach with the rod tip to the upstream side. with enough practice, you'll be able to have the whole rig land already mended and in a good drift. If ya mess up you can always flip a big mend in.

For normal mening once the rig hits the water - The father out you go, the higher and harder you gotta do the initial mend. :)

When I fish nymphs I mainly roll cast but more often than not its more of a "power haul/sling back upstream" from the end of the drift. Ive gotten pretty proficient at it and can do it backhand and forehand and get it out there up to 50ft. If I have to I will correct it immediately afterwards with a traditional roll cast. After all its like cdock said..the cast doesnt have to look to pretty as long as you can get it out into "the zone" ... then mend and use line control to get the right drift.

I have cut down my 6wt Rio Grand about 5 1/2' and it has really helped keeping the heavy nymph rig from collapsing the loop, plus I now find myself single hand spey casting 90% of the time (I am using a single hander right now as I busted my 6wt spey rod). I find I can get great distance with the spey cast and always set up really well with for the drift.

Good to hear others have a weaker side of river as well. It is something I am try to eliminate from my game, but after a long day I can always notice when I anchor incorrectly and watch my rig come looping into my face or around my rod tip.

always learning, always trying to improve is the key.

The most important thing once it's in the water of course is the drift. It's kind of like golf, drive for show putt for dough - cast for show, drift for dough.

I just re-read your post. That totally sums up nymphing in a handbasket right there.

I've guided the BEST casters, who couldn't catch a thing nymphing. And I've taken rookies out who were willing to learn, and had 'em into a lot of fish on their first day nymphing becuase after I work them hard through the learning process, they understand that the drift is what matters. :)

Now, that does NOT apply to dry fly fishing though :) the better caster you are there, the better your chances of a hookup.