Fly Fusion Forums

A Story About Friends And Sunscreen

The post about "What sunscreen do you wear" reminded me of a story.

My dad had 2 friends that he fished with his whole life, starting in elementary school. Basically, their lives were sports, fishing, and hunting. All three played football, baseball, and basketball on their High School teams, but my dad's friend Ken was the star athlete (he would tell you he was the star fisherman as well, but would get major arguments on that one). After HS, Ken went on to college and played football. After college, he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers as a wide receiver. He was the last cut during training camp. The guy the Packers kept was a receiver named Max McGee, who went on to become famous as the star of Super Bowl I. Ken went to Edmonton and played with the Eskies, I think for a couple of seasons. He came back to Texas and became a very successful businessman, who retired early and basically traveled the world hunting and fishing. Still at it today, well into his 70s.

But what the hell does all that have to do with sunscreen? Well, I'll tell you.

In his early 20s, Ken started to put on sun protection. Remember, this was back in the early 60s, and NOBODY, certainly not a professional football playing man, wore any type of sun protection. My father rode him about this mercilessly. I can still here the mock derision in his voice when he talked about Ken and his "salves." Dad said it would take him a few minutes every morning to put it on, and the whole time Dad and Bill (the other friend) would be on him about it. Well, all three men spent a lifetime in the sun, particularly my father and Ken. When dad was in his 60s, he still had youthful vigor, but you could tell he had spent a lifetime in the sun. Never any type of melanoma thankfully, but the old boy was certainly weather beaten. He would have said it gave him character. Ken on the other hand literally looked like a man at least 10 to 15 yrs younger. When I saw him just before my father died, it was frankly amazing. I said "they don't tease you much about your salves any more do they?" He said, "Are you kidding? Of course they do!"

Anyway, if you want to stay better looking, or at least younger looking, than your friends you should wear your salves. If not for health reasons, do it for vanity!