Fly Fusion Forums

Temple Fork Outfitters - Pike Leaders

Picked up a couple at Fish Tales for the pike trip this past weekend, and never thought of asking how you're supposed to tie them. 30 lb. mono tapered down and then about 16"? of steel "tippet". Comes with a metal release clip to put at the end to attach the big pike flies to, and 3 little "sleeves".

While typing this message I looked on Springbrook's website and found this picture:

TFO-PL-08.jpg

So I guess that changes my question to.. how do I make that loop at the end with the sleeve? It almost looks like it's "shrink wrapped" somehow.. but the sleeves were metal too. Do I just crimp it with a big pair of pliers maybe?

Any advice? (the crappy knot I made did hold and I did catch one ~5lb pike with it).

The leader you post comes with a few metal crimp collars and a snap lock that you crimp on. Drop a collar onto the steel leader, then the snap lock, loop the steel leader back into the collar and crimp. Makes changing flies easy! It comes with extra collars so you can trim back the leader when it becomes all twisted from the pike teeth thrashing the bottom few inches.

Some guys just twist the steel leader and melt the coating and fish it that way. I like to be more cautious and use a crimp collar. There are also steel leaders that you can tie like mono- tygerwire.

The leader you post comes with a few metal crimp collars and a snap lock that you crimp on. Drop a collar onto the steel leader, then the snap lock, loop the steel leader back into the collar and crimp. Makes changing flies easy! It comes with extra collars so you can trim back the leader when it becomes all twisted from the pike teeth thrashing the bottom few inches.

Some guys just twist the steel leader and melt the coating and fish it that way. I like to be more cautious and use a crimp collar. There are also steel leaders that you can tie like mono- tygerwire.

I have been using the Berkey-Steelon nylon coated wire in the 30 ft spools. I use the 20lb and just cut off 6 ft and attach it to my flyline with a loop. The wire ties just like mono and a 30 ft spool will last you a couple seasons. Tried the crimp sleeves and melt knots but at $3 a spool its the best ive tried. No more lighters or pliers. And never lost a fly yet with it.

What king of loop do you use? Do you tie it like you normally do at the end of a tapered leader (over hand type knot), or do you tie it like you would at the end of a flyline?

P

I have been using the Berkey-Steelon nylon coated wire in the 30 ft spools. I use the 20lb and just cut off 6 ft and attach it to my flyline with a loop. The wire ties just like mono and a 30 ft spool will last you a couple seasons. Tried the crimp sleeves and melt knots but at $3 a spool its the best ive tried. No more lighters or pliers. And never lost a fly yet with it.

What king of loop do you use? Do you tie it like you normally do at the end of a tapered leader (over hand type knot), or do you tie it like you would at the end of a flyline?

P

I just tie an overhand loop knot and attach it to the loop on my flyline. For the wire to the fly any regular flyfishn not will work but i prefer a loop knot at the fly to increase movement.After a few dozen pikies youll notice the leader starts to get kinks in it. This add a lot of movement to fly so dont rety unless you notice the wire is frayed. Used to run a shock tippet of 40lb mono between the flyline and leader, After a few years i have just gone to the leader to flyline connection.