Fly Fusion Forums

Z-axis 390 Vs. Zxl 386

Hi all,

I'm looking at both of these rods and was wondering if anyone on the board had either or could provide any info. At this point I'm leaning toward the ZXL, the Z, which I've tried, seems a little fast for what I'm wanting this for, mainly still water dry fly fishing and smaller streams out east. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

C

I just went through the same dilemma...I went with the ZXL. Haven't fished it yet, but liked the idea of it being a little slower like you said for the type of fishing I plan on using it for.

Definitely love the fast rods. I got the 690ZA and a 490XP. The XP in a 4 is killer. I hear the whole line of XPs are killer. I'm still thinking of a slower 3 though, especially since the rod is largely for back home NS. Brookies back home are small - a one pound trout is considered big. I'll have to find a ZXL to try before buying. I bet that 7 wt XP is an amazing rod.

I have a 4wt Z axis and If I was in the market for a lighter lined rod (3 wt) I would go with a slower rod. If you are fishing fine tippet where you could run into bigger fish I would want a softer rod tip than the Z axis has.

Have you given any consideration to the 7'10" TXLs? If so why was it ruled out? If I was to get another Sage with your requirements for small creeks and small drys on still waters this would be the rod I choose. The TXLs feel more "managable" to me, for small fish. I am fairly certian the TXL would meet your needs as it is designed for what you want. Last weekend I tied into several brookies with a 2wt TXL and it was awesome.

If you'd like to try out a TXL let me know or I have the 390 Z axis you can chuck a bit as well, both are mated with a Sage reels

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the ZXL and am very happy with it. Tried it out today for the first time. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than slowish but still powerful. Just to see if I could, I nymphed with it for a bit this afternoon with 2 large nymphs and a small indy; it worked very well. Out to 30 feet or so I could easily roll cast to position the indy upstream and mend line. Also tried some dries this evening with a 12' leader and it was awesome, lots of power but delicate. Even with a slight breeze it had the power to do what I wanted. I bet I could fish very light tippet with it. I can't wait to hook into something with it.

Thanks again, C.

Had a slow but fun day fishing south of the city and then this evening in FCP. Fished for 6 hours total and got one 12" rainbow (#14 evil weevil), and one LDR on either a hydro or SJW.