Fly Fusion Forums

Drowning And Other Water-related Injuries In Canada

Guest girlsfishtoo

Thanks for posting that article headscan.

I am not a good swimmer and I prefer to "look uncool" wearing my vest/life jacket while fishing from the boat or wading in faster current. After reading that article, I can justify my reason for being over cautious. :flex:

I was doing a walk and wade last summer in a section of the river at the bottom of Shaganappi trail, by the walking bridge and park. The fire department/river rescue in their jet boat blew thru my pool at Mach 3 while one of them pointed at his chest and screamed "where's your life jacket". Please tell me you don't have to wear a life jacket wading in the river?

Matt

In 9 years only 26 anglers died while wading (what was the cause and mech of death... heart attack, slip, something else?).

In 1995 alone, there was an estimated 3.7 million angler days, just in Alberta (probably twice that in BC, and tons more across Canada).

Wider across Canada, thats 676 recreational fishing related deaths (most were boating accidents) in 9 years... with approximately 4 million anglers licenced per year.

75% of the anglers are male and the average age of an angler in Canada is 46 (assuming unlicenced seniors don't fish).

Average 75 deaths a year out of 4 million anglers (near 50 million angler days)

*not including unlicenced, untracked seniors and kid anglers

That's a 0.00015% chance of a drowning during an angling event in Canada without the alcohol or age bias.

Be safe, but don't be scared. I think fishing is more likely going to add years to your life rather than end it prematurely.

Guest girlsfishtoo
Average 75 deaths a year out of 4 million anglers (near 50 million angler days)

*not including unlicenced, untracked seniors and kid anglers

That's a 0.00015% chance of a drowning during an angling event in Canada without the alcohol or age bias.

Be safe, but don't be scared. I think fishing is more likely going to add years to your life rather than end it prematurely.

I realize the chance of drowning while fishing is very low compared to "all other causes of death" but choosing to wear my vest/life jacket because I am not a good swimmer and the fact that it wouldn't take much current to knock me down, gives me some "peace of mind". :catch:

My personal experience with loosing my 75 year old Dad, due to a tragic fall that took his life, makes a person look at the "incident of an accident taking a life" with a different sharp edge.

Be safe, but don't be scared.

Yeah, definitely. Even though the raw numbers are not that high, don't become one of the statistics. Just practice some common sense before wading or boating. Those that you leave behind won't be comforted by the fact that you were one of only a few anglers who drown each year.

i work on a floating store on shuswap lake in the summer, and i see a lot of smart people doing dumb things. water is a deadly force if not respected.

alcohol and water do not mix. i saw several people die due to poor decision making and no respect for the water.

if you are smart, aware, and know the full potential that water has, you will be fine.

be safe

I certainly don't mean to belittle the risk (I'm a certified Swift water resuce tech and I'd recomend all anglers of rivers take the training), but I also (poorly) wanted to make a point that you can avoid pretty much all of the deaths... no booze, proper equipment, buddy system, and training (of course it's do as I say not as I do... :unsure: ).

I think the media may tend to blow things out of preportion though, and I'd hate to see a push for regulations that take away freedoms... like wearing a pfd while wading or No wading in certain places at times.

Mustang makes a low profile (rolled up) PFD that fits horse shoe style (Wholesale lists them in there catalog) with a hydrostatic valve (when you hit the H2O it releases a CO2 container and "Bob's your uncle"). Only about $150, well worth it IMHO. Run off and during the winter/spring on ice selves for sure. During the summer, probably not necessary (and of course while floating - within the city it's mandatory!).

P

Thanks for posting that article headscan.

I am not a good swimmer and I prefer to "look uncool" wearing my vest/life jacket while fishing from the boat or wading in faster current. After reading that article, I can justify my reason for being over cautious. :flex:

Fishing: the cause of more drowning deaths ....further in the article it says half the drowning deaths are alcohol related so the headline should read Drinking: the cause of the most drowning deaths.

I do need to get in the habit of wearing a life jacket.