Fly Fusion Forums

Dead Lake Whitefish

Apparently according to the news report, there countless numbers of dead lake whitefish washed up on shore from lack of oxygen in the water due to the hot weather.

This is out at Rattlesnake Res about 25 km out of the city and it isn't exactly a small body of water either. Apparently it's getting rather smelly. I have lived here all my life and don't recall anything like this happening before but here in Med. Hat daytime highs have been between 35 and 39 degrees days on end. It doesn't seem to cool very much at nite either. My thermometer says 40 in the shade right now and it's 6 PM in the evening. Sure happy I have air cond.

I haven't heard any Bullshead reports (maybe some of you have) but I have stayed away from there since this weather hit. I hope the fish survive out there but what are the chances in this heat and a shallow lake?

Guest tallieho

we have to now switch are aingst at the wind & hope that it blows all day & nite.also we got to hope that aerator works,i"m sure the sun is shining plenty to supply the solar power.

Saw that too. Haven't hit Bullshead since late July, but I have some work to do out in Elkwater this week, and if I go by myself, I'll stop and take a look at the lake. It does hit depths at around 22', but this is Southern Alberta and we have to expect these conditions. Tough to moan and groan about it when we live in a desert.