Fly Fusion Forums

Pentax Optio W60 - Horrible Noise...

As some of you know, I bought my UW camera - Pentax Optio W60, as well. I have been playing around with it and found it easy to use and produces good quality photos.

However, when I am recording a movie it picks up and records every noise (from focusing, zooming, etc.) I know that I can disable focusing and zooming functionality for movies, but then why would I record anything. :o My old Canon Ixus can record movies without any focusing or zooming noise on the video, so I believe it is a design issue or only a unique fault of my device.

Any of you who own W60 has similar experience?

Because it is a digital camera and not a camcorder (sp?)

Be Hurt,

Other manufacturers can do it (have been making those), so I do not see the reason for this distinction. :P

I think it is an awesome camera, with well above average macro functions. This "movie feature" is disappointing, but to record movies, I just need to use my mobile phone, which does better job. :)

I decided to remove audio from the movies recorded with this camera. This requires some post-editing and the software I use is not very good at it. Do you happen to know freeware/cheaper software which removes audio without needing to re-encode the movie?

You guys are probably like me and have neglected to read the manual because that would take all the fun out of learning how to use the camera without the headache. Anyways you may want to check page 140 of yor manual just for fun and see if Pentax is telling the truth. :huh:

Taking Pictures

You can set the focusing method used when recording movies. Select

either to always continue to focus on the subject while shooting, or to

lock the focus in the position selected by pressing the shutter release

button halfway with the subject in focus before shooting.

1 Press the 3 button in A mode.

2 Use the four-way controller (23) to select [Movie].

3 Press the four-way controller (5).

The Movie screen appears.

4 Use the four-way controller (23) to select [AF w/recording].

5 Use the four-way controller (45)

to select O (On) or P (Off).

O (On): Always focuses on the subject

while recording.

P (Off) : Locks the focus in the position

selected by pressing the shutter

release button halfway with the

subject in focus before recording.

6 Press the 3 button twice.

The camera returns to capture status with the current setting.

Selecting the Focusing Method for Recording

Movies

Depending on the shooting environment, the noise from focusing is

recorded when a focus mode other than 3 or s is selected and

[AF w/ recording] is set to O (On).

Be Hurt,

Other manufacturers can do it (have been making those), so I do not see the reason for this distinction. :P

I think it is an awesome camera, with well above average macro functions. This "movie feature" is disappointing, but to record movies, I just need to use my mobile phone, which does better job. :)

I decided to remove audio from the movies recorded with this camera. This requires some post-editing and the software I use is not very good at it. Do you happen to know freeware/cheaper software which removes audio without needing to re-encode the movie?

This is how I see things, when I want to take good photo's Iuse a machine that's main purpose is for that, when I want video I pull out my handycam, better quaility then anything out there (other then professional equipement) and with a 30gb HD built into it is pretty small.