Fly Fusion Forums

Travel Trailer Parts/repair

Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with fixing up older Travel Trailers? I have a 1980 Triple E Comfort 1600 that I picked up last year. Here is one almost identical to it.. just to give you an idea:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-R...QAdIdZ120122441 (hopefully that listing stays up for a bit)

It's in good shape, but definitely needs some work and TLC. I'm weighing our options right now, which are:

1. Slowly restore it to 'like new' condition and keep it.

2. Flip it immediately and put the money towards a newer/nicer trailer - which would really strain our budget. (I got such a good deal on this thing that I'm sure I could get twice what I paid for it even with the work it needs.)

3. Restore it and sell it for ALOT more than what we paid, and then put that money towards a newer/nicer trailer.

If I go with either of the "fix it up" options, does anyone know how difficult it is to get replacement parts of a ~30 year old trailer? Is it worth it to spend the time and do the work yourself? I.E. - money saved versus time spent?

If you'd recommend I just take it to a shop to get the work done.. does anyone know any good RV mechanics/shops around? Woody's RV is obviously the big popular one.. but that makes me think they're probably also overpriced. "Affordable RV" in town looks decent.. does anyone have any experience with them?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

What kind of repairs does it need? A guy at work bought an olde motor home and replaced the roof inside and out. If the frame, wiring and plumbing are good, I think it is worth restoring. I bought a new trailer a couple of years ago and with the depreciation and not so hot waranty I would stick with older one or trade it in on a newer used one. Just my two cents.

Back when there was an economy, RV's tended to hold their value pretty well. We got more for our first tent trailer than we paid after using it for 3 years. But, service through the major dealers is expensive. When we owned a 5th wheel you pretty well had to have it in the shop in the winter to get servicing for spring/summer use. I remember phoning around near the May long weekend and the only dates available were late summer to fall. I ended doing my own repairs and winterizing.

The RV industry does not understand "overpriced". I had better luck cost-wise going through Cdn Tire for parts but some things have to come from the dealers. Princess Auto has inexpensive trailer parts also.

A friend of mine had the axles flipped on his 5th wheel at a welding shop for about half what Standens would have charged. If your looking at wheel/axle overhauls I can call and get the name of the shop.

From what I can tell, the majority of the wiring is good. I managed to get all the lights working last season. Furnace, fridge, and stove work fine (one of the burners doesn't light.. probably just gummed up inside and needs a cleaning). Propane system seems to work fine, although it needs an inspection.

The thing basically sat in one spot for 12 years and wasn't used.. so anything that is affected by the elements needs to be looked at.

Bathroom needs a couple new wood panels - there was a small leak from around the vent and the panels are rotting a bit. Toilet hand pump also needs some work, I'm thinking the seals are bad. Same with the sink pump.. you can get the water pumping with enough effort, but it doesn't keep pressure and stops running after ~10 seconds. Seals on the pipes underneath are probably bad.

Brakes need to be re-done (including the wiring - it's all shredded like it got caught in the wheel or something). One of the tires needs to be replaced.

Other than that, it's mainly cosmetic stuff. New vent covers, the hitch A-Frame needs to be sanded and re-painted. And all the plastic trim that sticks on to the edges of table tops, counters, etc. needs to be replaced because it shriveled from the heat of the sun. Same with the rubber trim that goes around the metal edges on the exterior.

The key to an old trailer like that is the fridge,if it doesn't work the trailer is not worth anything if it works well then it has some value.If your a handy guy than fix what you can and don't worry about the rest.You have heat and a fridge thats way better then tenting.I had an old one just like that the brakes didn't work and i pulled it and stopped it no problem.Pending on your truck i suppose.Anyway my thoughts on this are you don't need to have it all working, if the water pump doesn't work big deal bring a water jug.The dealers are going to charge you threw the roof 100$/hr at least and parts will be very pricey.The only thing i would suggest is get the wheel bearings re-packed,brakes if you think there toast,any leaks just stick some silicone around it and your good to go.

Water pump is the easiest thing to fix. Look around for RV repairs, you dont have to go to an RV dealer. That said any plumper can fix anything with water, and an electrician can fix the electrical its all the same just a pain to get to and work in the confined spaces.

Birchy, try putting some oil on the seals of the pumps they are probably dried out.

Oh and keep the trailer use it for a few years,it will be worth the same as it is now.Great trailers to drag down washboard mountain trails, dents and scratches don't bother you as much compared to a new one.

I also have a spare equalizer hitch complete with bars if you don't have one already.