Fly Fusion Forums

Montana Spring Creeks

I'm planning a trip south of the border this summer. Has anyone fished Armstrong, Depuy's, or Nelson spring creeks? If you could only fish one, which would be the best?

Thanks

Keith

I have been down there 3 times and the fishing was great. We usually went down at the end of April into May and fished a couple of days on each of the Creeks.

We almost always fished tiny midges 20-24 sized, and olives. 7x fluorocarbon leaders etc. Go to westwinds and talk to Gord. He has been going there since he was a kid

and has all the right flies. Some years we had some decent caddis hatches as well.

I have been down there 3 times and the fishing was great. We usually went down at the end of April into May and fished a couple of days on each of the Creeks.

We almost always fished tiny midges 20-24 sized, and olives. 7x fluorocarbon leaders etc. Go to westwinds and talk to Gord. He has been going there since he was a kid

and has all the right flies. Some years we had some decent caddis hatches as well.

Thanks for the tip.

Keith

Keith,

Mudkid gave you good advice BUT, the fish in all those creeks have seen every type of fly that can be tied on a <22 hook c/w with spider web leaders and the like.

The BUT part - - They haven't seen anything else. When you join the herd, you compete for the grass. So as a fellow angler, who was landing fish after fish says - "they've never seen a black Humpy #12 c/w a flourescent orange body". He was landing fish regularly. One trip, I'd tied some #12 olive leech patterns - after the fifth break-off, the 3X went on. Then the fish came to hand.

So join the herd, fish <22 flies and 7X. Works. If you wanta land fish, head in the opposite direction on both flies and leaders. A #12 PT and a Humpy.

catch ya'

Don

Keith,

Mudkid gave you good advice BUT, the fish in all those creeks have seen every type of fly that can be tied on a <22 hook c/w with spider web leaders and the like.

The BUT part - - They haven't seen anything else. When you join the herd, you compete for the grass. So as a fellow angler, who was landing fish after fish says - "they've never seen a black Humpy #12 c/w a flourescent orange body". He was landing fish regularly. One trip, I'd tied some #12 olive leech patterns - after the fifth break-off, the 3X went on. Then the fish came to hand.

So join the herd, fish <22 flies and 7X. Works. If you wanta land fish, head in the opposite direction on both flies and leaders. A #12 PT and a Humpy.

catch ya'

Don

I appreciate the tip Don. I'll make sure I'm well stocked.