Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing In/near Phoenix??

Hey All-

Am heading to visit the in-laws in Phoenix next week and was wondering if anyone's done any fly-fishing in/around there. I'm hoping to take my father in-law out to get him into the sport. Ideally I'm looking for something where I can get him into a fish. I've tried similar fishing boards for Arizona, but am still waiting for my account info. I thought since so many canucks migrate south in the winter, you may have some advice.

Thanks!

I've heard good things about oak creek or lees ferry

I fished Lees Ferry last year around New Years and had a great time, however I didn't use Lees Ferry Anglers.

There is another guy who knows what he is doing and works on his own. Great time and great prices.

If you call lees ferry and ask about the other guy, they can steer you in his direction.

If you don't get anywhere and are interested, e-mail me and I will try and track down his info again.

seandecarle@sdcfinewoodworking.com

Sean

I was down there a couple weeks ago and fished the Salt River in Tonto Park. About a 30 minute drive from where we were staying in the east part of Scottsdale near Fountain Hills. They stock it with rainbows so all the fish I caught were small, in the 10 inch range, but it was a very cool experience to fish amongst the cactii and the Arizona mountains. You'll need an Arizona fishing licence, as well as a day pass to park in the Tonto park. I'm told you have to buy the parking pass in town beforehand because they don't sell them at the park. Apparently you can get them at Circle K. Once in the park, we parked at a place called Water Users. I got my fishing licence at Walmart. I'd post some pics if I knew how - sorry 'bout that. Have fun.

If you're traveling' to go fishin' may's well fish for natives

Apache trout in the White Mountains

Gila trout in the Gila Wilderness and Aldo Leopold Wilderness but I don't know if you can fish for them yet, they were totally protected while being re-established.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm pretty excited to be fishing in shorts again, also trying out the new 4wt I built this winter. I'm hoping to get my father in-law hooked (pun totally intended) and will be sure to post some pix when I get back in a weeks time.