Fly Fusion Forums

Waterproof Backpacks

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with waterproof backpacks. I'm looking at picking one up this year and was wondering if anyone has any they'd recommend. I know there's the Simms Dry Creek Packs. I've also been looking at the Overboard packs out of the UK which appear to be quite good. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for just a simple daypack which is waterproof and is going to last. Thanks

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with waterproof backpacks. I'm looking at picking one up this year and was wondering if anyone has any they'd recommend. I know there's the Simms Dry Creek Packs. I've also been looking at the Overboard packs out of the UK which appear to be quite good. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for just a simple daypack which is waterproof and is going to last. Thanks

take a look at the new rucksack from snowbee . they also have a few others that you should get years of use out of.

Are you looking for 'rain' waterproof, or 'swimming and dunking' waterproof? MEC sells water proof packs, if you're fishing in the rain and don't want your stuff to get wet. However, if you're looking for a 'dry bag', totally dunkable, for whitewater rafting, you'll need something by a fishing specific brand. For everyday purposes, I'd say get a MEC and save a couple hundred bucks.

Nick

Sorry to continue the hijack, but are you sure about that Jayhad? I can't find any reference to that on the MEC site and they do carry plenty of animal products like leather and wool, which goes against PETA's beliefs.

It's rather odd PETA links to MEC from their "Woolly Bully" page regarding MEC's alternative products but MEC has an entire page devoted to Wool Fabric.

http://www.peta.org/feat/woollybully/

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?CO...534374302881786

Hey guys I dig MEC, but I have stopped shopping there due to MEC's support of PETA, the douces who are trying to get fishing banned.

Sorry for the thread highjack.

Yeah, sorry man but MEC's president or CEO (can't remember who it was exactly) made comments to the effect of "we don't cater to hunters or fishermen" (paraphrased, obviously); however, they did not specifically endorse PETA or any animal rights group, for that matter. They carry many leather and wool products which go against PETA's stated and very public beliefs. PETA lists MEC on their website as selling animal rendered goods and encourages their members to not shop at or support MEC in any way.

Clive, exactly. you save a ton if you get camping gear, as opposed to fishing gear. I paid twenty bucks for a good fanny pack, that holds all I need and then a bit more. The similar "fishing brand" pack was three times the cost, and some were much more.

yeah, fishin gear is gettin alittle retarted. 300 bucks for a pastel colored bag my mom would wear? im tellin ya, keep checkin crown surplus. they got a bag for every piece of equipment out there. also check out army n navy, they always have new *hit commin in!

A reasonably well-constructed backpack is all one needs for many things. If one is backpacking high in the mountains maybe a $200 b/p is a good. Too old for that... ;) This sounds a tad gloating and not meant to be. I have an "El Cheapo" $20 backpack that will head to Chile with me next week. I got it in about 2003. It has been to China and Inner Mongolia ~ 4 times (depending on exactly when I got it); Bahamas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize and Vancouver Island (2X) and maybe Vancouver as well .. in dunno where all....probably missed a trip or two. It's been lugged onto (what) forty planes and is always stuffed to the hilt. It's been hauled on a tour boat/buses to Belize Mayan ruins ... Expensive camera gear is stored in big ziplocks when necessary--seldom. My wife sewed up a blown seam last year. When it dies it will be tossed. The padded straps are comfortable.