Fly Fusion Forums

Intro To Streamers

robertrossi

hey guys i have just recently purchased a 7wt fli and a teton magnum 7 and i have been pondering streamers. i know this isnt the best way to go but i bought a 12 foot rio sinking leader and thought i would give it a try. i currently have a floating WF 7wt airflo ridgeline on the reel. any comments or suggestions would be cool.

thanks guys

hey dude floating line wil work.. you have a few ways too get your streamers down .. simplest is split shot either crimped right on teh head of the fly of somewere above maybe a foot or so.. its tougher cast splits but easy too get rigger up. i like sink tips.. if u use sink tips get a few of them like a intermediate, sink and fast sinker... i wouldnt worry about more than a foot or two of tippet from teh sink tip fish dont mind and use heavy tippet like 10-15lb maxima... as for streamer fishing styles u have the down and accross presentation... u can cast it 45 degrees down away frm teh bank and let it swing too shore.. if u want a deeper swing cast with a greater angle upstream.. maybe straight across or even upstream..... there is also a strippin method were you would cast your streamers out tehn retrieve them in with a stip pause stip pause motion.. mix it up. some fast strips some slow.. long strips or short twitches... hope that helps! dont get discouraged.. keep in mind u are targeting the fish that are more willing too move and chase and eat a few larger food items.. not sit behind a rock and eat many small food items all day.... so cover teh water and find teh active fish!

hey dude floating line wil work.. you have a few ways too get your streamers down .. simplest is split shot either crimped right on teh head of the fly of somewere above maybe a foot or so.. its tougher cast splits but easy too get rigger up. i like sink tips.. if u use sink tips get a few of them like a intermediate, sink and fast sinker... i wouldnt worry about more than a foot or two of tippet from teh sink tip fish dont mind and use heavy tippet like 10-15lb maxima... as for streamer fishing styles u have the down and accross presentation... u can cast it 45 degrees down away frm teh bank and let it swing too shore.. if u want a deeper swing cast with a greater angle upstream.. maybe straight across or even upstream..... there is also a strippin method were you would cast your streamers out tehn retrieve them in with a stip pause stip pause motion.. mix it up. some fast strips some slow.. long strips or short twitches... hope that helps! dont get discouraged.. keep in mind u are targeting the fish that are more willing too move and chase and eat a few larger food items.. not sit behind a rock and eat many small food items all day.... so cover teh water and find teh active fish!

[/quote

thanks max ill give the leader a try and hopefully tighten the line!!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what are some good attractive colors for the bow? I have found orange double bunny on the shore and i always thought things like that were way out of place.

whats colors do you use to get their interest from the deeps?

im no streamer expert by any means... but i like to start huckin lighter colours white, tan and then working into darker grey, olive and black. I have alot of fun casting streamers cause i cover alot of water and when they hit the fly theres no mistaking the take. they attack it!!

GL on the streamer fishing

Guest RedWiggler

I find that I have had the most luck using white colored streamers, Clousers, Bow River Buggars etc. I would have to agree with disoctrout as well, when a fish slams a streamer there is nothing like it. By far the funnest way to catchem besides dries on a warm evening.