Fly Fusion Forums

Loose Fitting Reel

headscan

some reel foots just don't match up well with certain reel seats all you can do is alter the foot ie-file or grind the foot to fit or change the reel seat on the rod not really that difficult but a shame to do on a new rod, The other is to get a different reel. I had some early Hardy Marquis that didn't fit well with my RPL's a little filing was all that was needed to make them work until I replaced them with Loops.

Well, the rod is a Loop but the reel is a Nautilus. Just for kicks I tried a Loop Opti reel from another rod on this one and it fit perfectly. Funny thing is, my Nautilus reels fit without any problems on my other Loop rods and this one has the same style of reel seat. Maybe the notches in the locking rings are slightly bigger or something.

Badger, it is a two-hander but a new one (bought at the show). And the Nautilus reel is just a bit over a year old.

Just cut some pop can shims and some thin leather, way back when you couldn't buy good 10'+ drift rods we would use Sage 8110s - 9110s there wasn't many good reel seats to use so the solution was. rubber cement, pop can shims and leather the rubber cement allows you to pull the shims and leather of much easier then epoxy.

Not that this is really much different, but try a strip of rubber tape on the seat. This is used by electricians for motor terminations. Works like a dream. I even put a small wrap of rubber tape around the top of my cork for pinching down on small diameter running lines.

Regards

Dean

Anyone have a better solution for a loose fitting reel than wrapping some electrical tape around the feet of the reel?