Fly Fusion Forums

Cataract Creek Question

birchy

All,

Was out to Cataract Creek the other night for a hike. I've only been there twice before (by the campground) and didn't realize there was a second 'stem' to the creek that stays to the west side of the dirt road. The main channel goes under the bridge on the dirt road, and then east, down around the campground.

Sunday night we had a little fire in that area directly across from the road to the campground - on the west side. There's a parking area with a little brown building there, some outhouses, and some fire pits/picnic tables. There is another part of the creek right there, that appears to run south, parallel with the FTR.

Does anyone know if this is still Cataract Creek? How far does it go? Also, can anyone tell me approximately how deep the water would be directly in front of that parking area?

That is a different creek it comes from the south around the saddle by Mt Wilkinson. I think the name is Wilkinson Creek? Anyway I hear it has a few fish in it. There are a lot of little creeks around there that all have fish, it usually involves bushwacking and other fun which makes catching a little foothills jewel a great reward.

I was talking to a guy who mention a creek that was good for taking the kids out as well as doing some fishing. He mentioned there is a picnic areas and falls. I thought it was trappers but can't find it on a map. Any ideas ??

Don't think it's Trap he's talkin' about. Trap is on the north side of the rd before you get to Eden Valley, bottom end is all on privately controlled land. Believe on some maps it's shown as Flat Ck. Could be he talkin' about Cataract/Wilkinson cks, picnic area, campground and a set of falls downstream, would be a good area to take kids fishing, lots of little brookies.