Fly Fusion Forums

A Great Day To Fly A Kite

I was at Sunshine today with my sons. We decided to go to Sunshine to avoid the certain hurricane at Castle. Was a trifle windy at Sunshine today. They shut down the upper lifts for much of the afternoon. Went back to the car at the end of the day to see my expensive car topper in pieces. Seems I forgot to lock it back up and the wind blew it to pieces. I also think I saw some swallows being blown by. Not sure if they were European or African but their velocity was impressive.

Should have gone fishing. Could have hooked myself a time or two. Would have hurt less than the snow piercing my face.

Kiteboarding is an awesome way to make use of the wind. Launching snow drifts and bagging super powder turns being pulled (dragged) behind a giant kite at anywhere from 15-50km/hr. on any lake (or field if there is enough snow.)

I've never used it on the water in the summer as I have other activities I like to pursue during our frost free days but bought it specifically to blow off steam when the weather is too shitty to do anything else. And by blowing off steam I mean crapping my pants every time I go.

Hey Rick.....I went for an X-Ray on my arm today and I'll bet that the way it was twisted and turned hurt worse than your silly snow in the face <--poke--<

Anyways....I think I have something that will satisfy both your desire for kite flying and skiing the next time you have the urge. We were in Steveston B.C. last summer (home of the BEST fish and chips ANYWHERE) and we took a walk along the beach. There was a huge field in the middle of an area with heavy winds and cross-winds and there were these guys who were flying kites and had these roller blade things on but they weren't rollers, they were like the conveyor belt things on tractors and dirt movers and stuff (I don't know what they're called...but you know what I mean right?) So it was like grass skiing and kite flying all at the same time. Some guys were in little go-karts doing it too. You cannot believe how fast these guys got going - was insane to watch! Lots of body armour on too - don't imagine it'd be pretty if you wiped out or hit someone.