Fly Fusion Forums

Challenge #5

Flytyer

Here's a different challenge for you and for some of you it's an opportunity to learn a new technique that is not in the everyday tying arsenal. Flies tied this way I find are way more durable than conventionally tied flies.

The challenge this time is to tie a fly that is woven in some way. Materials used are your choice as is the hook size and style. For those that choose to participate I suspect there will be a variety of fly types that are submitted.

Feel free to ask any questions and they will be answered in some way.

Due Feb. 7

OMG Ron what are you doing to me, making me learn something new, geeeze, well if I can learn it in time to get a fly in then I will but currently if I am not out fishing I am either working or ting flies that I use, but will try and make a effort to do something for this challenge!

OMG Ron what are you doing to me, making me learn something new, geeeze, well if I can learn it in time to get a fly in then I will but currently if I am not out fishing I am either working or ting flies that I use, but will try and make a effort to do something for this challenge!

It's not that hard Brad.....there are several different methods for weaving.

Well I actually tied up one from the vid that was provided and I kind of have the idea of what to do but will try to perfect it before I submit one for the challenge cause the first one reminded me back to the days when I first started ting.

Thanks man. I like how it puts most of the weight on the top of the hook so it should ride hook up during a drift.

With that being the case , have you thought of tying the flashback in on the belly? In essence tying it in reverse.

With that being the case , have you thought of tying the flashback in on the belly? In essence tying it in reverse.

Never thought of the wing case being down as well, good point! Would that look weird with a scud hook then? Would ya switch to a straight nymph hook?

Never thought of the wing case being down as well, good point! Would that look weird with a scud hook then? Would ya switch to a straight nymph hook?

There are number of flies which are literally tied upside with the the hook pointing up.

I've never done it personally but I think it could work with the scud hook but you got me thinking again ( could be trouble LOL) maybe try both styles and fish them both after all it's the fish who will pass final judgement.

Another hook option could be a swimming nyph hook such as Daichii 1770 I believe is the correct model number and experiment with that. What's nice about tying is that there are generally more than "correct" way to accomplish an effect.

The Wire Woven Weevil

Newbie tier but wanted to give this one a shot, I'm not to sure if this is what was meant by a woven fly though.

I only had smaller scud hooks so it was kind of hard to get a good shot of it. Plus my biots seem a bit large??

WovenWireWeevil012.jpg

Beautiful fly man nothing newbie about that. Some how I missed this challenge.

great idea ron i for one hate wovel flies! so much time... freakin frustrating too! but here is mine "woven foam stone"

fliesssssssssssssssssss.jpg

tail legs and antenna- brown rubber legs

body- woven tan foam

thorax-sheet foam tan

wing- barred tan cdc

indicator- orange foam

brown sharpie on teh back

holy crap I totally forgot about this one! I'll get something whipped up tonight or the next day

The "deadline" is not an absolute etched in stone.....it is mean as a type of motivator to encourage tyers to try it....I have several done but haven't photographed them yet as I have a bunch of swap flies to photograph as well; you could say I'm procastinating a bit till I can do a bunch at one time.

Feel free to post your results at any time....... it's meant to be a learning experience and to open to new or different techniques and materials.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would try my hand at some woven flies. I find it a pretty interesting fly tying technique.

George Grant, who passed away November 2, 2008 at the age of 102!, was definitely the master of woven flies. It's worth a google to check out some of his flies, they are like works of art.

P1060346d1ow.jpg

P1060345cr.jpg

P1060378cr.jpg

P1060365df7ow.jpg

These flies are tied using a double overhand knot technique that is actually pretty simple and fast once you catch on.