Fly Fusion Forums

New Rod!

robertrossi

I think the FLIs are unreal, they are a super bargin and a great stick. It's to bad the series was dropped, now just mate that up with a Sage 4560 and you will have quite the rig. I have casted the FLIs a few times now in several weights and I am very close to receiving a 3wt.

Good buy I don't think you will be disappointed

The FLI is a great bang for the buck rod. It's replaced by the Flight, which I think just has a different name, blank colour, and maybe upgraded graphite. Every so often the companies refresh their products like that so they can get them in the magazines (who wants to review a rod that's been out for a few years?).

after test driving 5 diff rods at the show, i purchased a 9'6" 8wt fli. i also put a buddy [who's just starting out] into one last yr. i hate to be a sucker for the brand, but it's a very decent stick and good value with the blowout prices.

Guest KnottyGirl

This thread is killin' me... been watching my FLi sit in the corner and collect dust for over a month now, I have yet to try it out. I'm relieved to hear it sounds like I've made a good choice!!

I think the FLIs are unreal, they are a super bargin and a great stick. It's to bad the series was dropped, now just mate that up with a Sage 4560 and you will have quite the rig. I have casted the FLIs a few times now in several weights and I am very close to receiving a 3wt.

Good buy I don't think you will be disappointed

sage 4560 eh? well ill have to check it out for sure. Ive never owned a sage reel but this is my second sage rod and im sure the quality is on the same level. Im glad i made a good choice thanks guys!

I look at it this way...15 years ago that was the best technology money could buy...so kinda like buying a Porsche mid nineties 911 with NO MILES...

everybody is caught up in the latest and greatest in rod development, and consumers follow suit...give me an old Sage RPL and I can out cast anything on the market today...

I look at it this way...15 years ago that was the best technology money could buy...so kinda like buying a Porsche mid nineties 911 with NO MILES...

everybody is caught up in the latest and greatest in rod development, and consumers follow suit...give me an old Sage RPL and I can out cast anything on the market today...

Sure the rod can help someone cast a bit better, but if your a crappy caster it really doesn't matter what type of rod you get you will still be a crappy caster.

I have found over the last 4 years that a rod is a very personal things, personally I do not care for Sage or Orvis rods, does that mean they are bad rods nope, but for what I like and the style I like to cast there are better suited rods for me personally.

What I recommend to anyone is try a couple of diffrent rods, make sure you try diffrent manufactures, that way you can personalize the rod to what you like, and what type opf rod best suits your type of casting.

This thread is killin' me... been watching my FLi sit in the corner and collect dust for over a month now, I have yet to try it out. I'm relieved to hear it sounds like I've made a good choice!!

You and me both! Still haven't used my new 9'6" 6wt FLi!

thats a wide stretch considering the variety of actions Sage and Orvis offer....soft, fast, tip flex, mid flex etc...these companies offer rods to appeal to every caster...I'm curious what your style and preference is bhurt?

My post was directed not at one company, personally no matter what anyone says I will never BUY a Sage or Orvis, just not for me and thats the end.

Guest RedWiggler
You and me both! Still haven't used my new 9'6" 6wt FLi!

I picked up a cheap FLI last year for Piking, a nice 8 wt. Honestly after using it I took it to the Bow a couple of times simply because I could cast that nymph rig twice as far with very little effort. Anyhow it served its purpose very well and I cant wait to for ice off this year to go get into some more of those TOOTHY BEEEAAATCHES.