Fly Fusion Forums

Hook Is Set, Now How Do I Reel Them In?

crookednose

I'm quite new to the sport and encountered some troubles this weekend. So here's the dilemma - I'm fishing upstream, stripping my line and I get a strike. I pinch the line with my rod hand and set the hook. I think I'm supposed to keep pressure on the line to prevent the fish from dropping the hook, so what is the best way to reel in the fish keeping in mind I have extra line loose from stripping? I've just been bringing the fish in by hand lately, but I reckon you must have a reel for a reason!

That said, I've read a bit about playing a fish and using the drag of your reel when a fish runs. I guess you probably use this tactic when playing a larger fish so you don't snap your leader. Again though, how would you let your slack line out (while keeping pressure on) until your reel sets the drag? How much line do you let the fish take? How long should you play the fish before you bring it in?

Any help and advice would be appreciated. I set the hook a few times this weekend, but lost most of them while bringing the fish in ...

Good question, that not many people have the nerve to ask.

The fact is that you will almost always have a "Loop" of line at your feet when you hook a fish Fly fishing, and you definitely want to use your reel to fight the fish.

Hopefully this will help you.

You always want to have "2 point contact" with the line, with the hand that you hold the rod with. What I mean is you want the line running through your hand looping over your Pinkie and back through your pointer fingers. I see new fly anglers only looping it through the pointer having only "1 point contact" with the line.

This way, if you lose one point of contact, you will still have contact with the line so you can keep tension on the line for the fight.

As far as keeping pressure on the fish, don't worry too much about getting the fish on the reel immediately. Keep the line tight and reel in the slack when you get the chance. Unless the fish is small, you will get plenty of opportunity to pick up the slack line and get the fish on the reel.

With the bigger fish, you should have no problem getting them on the reel because they will usually take enough line to get themselves on the reel, and if, or when, they decide to hug the bottom, or just stop for a rest, you can pick up the slack then. If you don't get the fish on the reel, but land it, I'd say that's alright wouldn't you. With time, you'll have no problem getting to the reel, so don't rush it.

This is another part of Fly fishing that you will get better at with practice.

No offense to anyone out there, but you can often tell a newer, or less experienced angler by the fact they usually bring the fish in by hand, rather than with their reels.

I wonder what the "Islander" or "Abel" fly reel companies think when they sponsor a fishing show and the people in the show bring in every fish by hand and never even use the reels. Showing that even some of the "Experts" on TV haven't learned how to get the fish on the reel, so don't feel too bad.

Hopefully you hook into enough fish this summer to become a pro at it.

One warning though. Watch the slack line never wraps completely around your finger. I was unlucky enough to witness this happen fishing for Steelhead and the guy had his finger "Skinned". Don't underestimate the fish on rivers here in Alberta, they have it in them to do the same.

Now you've learned that there's a little more than just hooking the fish.....that's the easy part sometimes. ;)

I agree with Missing about how to get onto the reel. However, my philosophy is that if a fish doesn't make me get on the reel, I don't. If he takes all of the loose line and starts pulling off the reel, I'll fight him from the reel. Other wise I'll strip him in, release him, and then my line still ready to go. No pulling line off and getting reorganized to cast again. Even on the Bow only about 1/3 of the fish I hook get to the reel. I've seen the technique used by guys who I know are very experienced fishermen, so I think it's which ever system you use.

Guest rusty

The golden rule of fighting fish is to remember that they will (generally) try to pull away from you. Strip like mad until you can sustain good pressure on them and then reel like crazy and you should be in good shape. Smaller fish won't resist the stripping and you can usually land them pretty quickly.

I agree with what was said above though - just get some practice and you'll be OK. Fighting a big fish can be done without a reel but it's far easier, less risky, and a lot better for a flyline if you use the reel.

If fishing from land i will take a few steps back to take up some slack. Been lake fishing when i've had to run backwards to keep tension on the fish, cause it was running right at me.

Personnly for me i like fish on the reel when ever possible, i feel the practice is good for when it is a big fish, and its what i do, but thats whats nice about life you can do things the way you want to.

Thanks very much gents ... very good advice. I'll have to practise the two points of contact (I'm not going to lie to you ... it felt pretty awkward last night), but I can see how it will help. I will (hopefully) have a chance to practise everything this weekend down in the Livingstone area ... I'll let you know how I fare!

Thanks again!