Fly Fusion Forums

Breathable Waders In The Winter?

Hey Guys,

I normally don't fish from end of Oct to the start of May, but have been thinking about changing that. I am thinking about the bow in the northwest from my first adventures but I am concerned about my waders as they are the breathable type. I have read some online article's about them being ok but would like to hear from the guys who really know. I have only owned waders for 2 years, before that I wet waded everywhere and cold water never bugged me(never winter fished), but I am getting older and softer I guess.

So can I dress properly enough under my breathables(there is lots of room) or should I just buy some neoprene's?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I normally don't fish from end of Oct to the start of May, but have been thinking about changing that. I am thinking about the bow in the northwest from my first adventures but I am concerned about my waders as they are the breathable type. I have read some online article's about them being ok but would like to hear from the guys who really know. I have only owned waders for 2 years, before that I wet waded everywhere and cold water never bugged me(never winter fished), but I am getting older and softer I guess.

So can I dress properly enough under my breathables' (there is lots of room) or should I just buy some neoprene's?

Thanks

I have both Breathables' and Neoprene's, and wear my breathables with Fleece and Polypro's under but and there is always a but.. if I am going to deep wade or to be out for the whole day, I will go with the Neoprene's.....

The breathables's have neoprene boots so that is not a problem..

No really much of an answer but lets say food for thought, also do you get cold easily now or get cold feet...

This is for the Crow and the Oldman in the winter..

I use my breathable lots of room for under clothing ,but for winter fishing i rarely go into the water .I fish in the NW also in the winter mostly whites and you don't need to wade ,i just nymph from shore .With all the ice this year it may be a bit more challenging .Be safe don't walk where you don't know whats underneath.A 13-14' rod will come in handy this winter.

you dont need neops. if your legs are cold its cause your fishing in the same spot too long. bare blackwater waders, expensive but worth it. m.e.c. jonnies and polar fleece a good pair of wool socks and a couple upper layers. wear silk or a variation of, theres no need for neops. men dont belong in them.

like others mentioned i wear my breathables all year aswell.. just layer up i throw on some thermal unerwear and a pair of sweatpants and i find im fine.. double up the sock too.. i usually wear wool.. i always buy my stuff a little bigger mainly for this reason.. if u rind oyu boots are tight with extra socks jsut wear them a little looser so u can still keep up good circulation.. remember too keep your core warm too throw on a extra layer or two around your chest too keep extra heat in.... only thing i halfto say abotu the bow in teh north end of teh city is it is usually a little more frozen and alot of teh river is frozen completely over.. centre street too 4th looks good but above too crowchild was mostly frozen last i drove past....

Another vote for wearing the breathables all year. Take the money you would've spent on neos and invest in some light, mid, and heavyweight base and mid layers. By getting different weights you can layer them together or wear them alone depending on the temp. Stick to wool, polypro (Lifa, Capilene, etc.), and silk since they're breathable. If you go with base layers that aren't breathable you are at increased risk for hypothermia from moisture staying against your skin and cooling you down. For socks, seriously consider Patagonia Mountaineering socks. They're a little pricey, but they're the warmest and most comfortable socks I've ever owned.

Like Max said, don't forget to keep your core and head warm. I think if your core temp drops a certain amount your body reacts by reducing blood flow to your extremities as protection against hypothermia.

i also wear my breathables year round...I echo the comments on layering as the most effective way to stay warm. Another sock you might consider is the Simms wading socks. I got a pair this fall and they have been absolutely fantastic. I have compared them head to head against some of my other MEC wool socks and they are definitely warmer for wading.

Thanks for the advice guys

I have more questions of course, what about my wading boots. I have the regular felt soled boots, will they be ok or do I need more?

The areas I would be going to I am very familar with and would be carefull of course.

I wear my breathables all year...the only time I fish the Bow is late fall thru winter and early spring...fleece pants make all the difference in staying warm or not...I stay out of the water as much as possible only stepping in to release a fish, as I feel it is much safer than kneeling on an ice shelf (be advised know the depth before stepping in, use extreme caution)...I use boots with studded soles which are absolutely awesome on ice and slippery banks...ice shelfs can break off no matter how thick the ice is so be careful, and always check for bergs floating down stream.

Hey Guys,

So can I dress properly enough under my breathables(there is lots of room) or should I just buy some neoprene's?

Thanks

I broke down and bought breathables this year which are heavy multi layered gortex and they are great, having said that I still think my good old neoprenes are warmer. The breathables give allot more mobility for me though and have the added benefit of not making me look like an octogenarian. I would echo that I think felt on ice is a dodgy proposition, I have studded boots and they are great.

al

once youve decided what your gonna wade in, make sure to do up your wading belt nice n tight and get ready to berg surf! now im a profesional bow river berg surfer and have been for years, this requires great skill and usually a few doobs. break off the largest piece of berg you can, if your a fatty no problemo but i usually have a friend help me bust it off. stay away from deep pools and current, as the berg will melt faster the further out you go. a buddy and i once rode a berg right under the pedestrian bridge near bankside. all the drifters know the east side of the river gets rather deep there and we had to jump off into waist deep water. the thing was the size of a small island! now im sure theres a few other pro bow river berg surfers out there and props to them! of course we only do this on a skunk day, or if the whities wont leave us alone. good luck and remember...STAY SHALLOW!!!