Fly Fusion Forums

Winterizing The Pontoon Boat

sgwinkel

I finally picked up a pontoon boat (10ft fish cat pontoon.......merry x-mas to me!!!!). I have minimal storage space and was wondering the best way to store the inflatable pontoon's. Is it safe (i.e. avoid cracking etc.) to keep them folded up? Should they remain somewhat inflated? if hanging in the garage, what about these cold temperatures? Any advice on how to best take care of it in the off season is appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

just be sure to roll (loosely)the pontoons rather than fold them,especially if it has the vinyl aircells which i think the fishcat does....if it has urethane aircells it's not so much an issue but either way being folded for long periods of time will cause creases to form and thus a possible weak or worn point....

this is best care scenerio....i'm sure you could fold them up and throw them in the corner of the garage or basement and never have issues....best storage method is inflated to shape but not to pressure

mine is only an eight foot but i keep the pontoons comepletely empty of air and laid out flat....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a tip from "a new guy" to this forum, but substantial "time in" with pontoons(former Outcast Pro-Staff) who lives in central BC and has no heated storage. If you can, leave it partially inflated, that prevents the valves from opening and allowing dust and air-born debris from contaminating the valve seal. Cold will not hurt them at all, as long as they are not treated roughly when frozen hard. Always store them out of direct sunlight, of course. In the spring, prior to use, I deflate about 80%, open the outer shell and wipe the inside of the shell and outside of the bladders with a soft cloth damp with methyl hydrate. That will take care of any condensed moisture that has accumulated between the bladders and the shells. When I first inflate the 'toon, (and it may be a bit chilly yet, but who doesn't "push it"?) I use a reversed shopvac(after it's blowing clean air) to inflate the pontoons. The vac blows warm air and that will take all the wrinkles and folds out of the cold materials.

j

I thank you for those most kind words, 'Bow. I'm anticipating a couple of trips to your "turf" in the next year, so will try and absorb as much practical info as I can and will do my best to make it a two-way street.

j

I keep mine in a large Rubbermaid bin, well insulated under the 2 feet of white stuff I my back yard :$*%&: . one thing i miss about the Island, just used to leave it set up ready to go at all times.

Colin

I keep the Discovery10 Standup half-inflated sitting on the upturned hull of another boat, totally tarped over and secured. The side-bags are hanging in the basement. I figure when I can walk to the 'toon, and take the tarp off, it's time.