Fly Fusion Forums

Kooteney River.

I'm heading down around radium to do some work on a cabin for a few days next weekend. If you are heading south on 93 you turn off onto settlers road and come out just on the south side of the park. I'm curious what the fishing might be like on the kooteney itself in that area. I have no idea how big the river is at this point but apparently it is steps away from this cabin so it will be the most convenient for me to fish in the evening. I noticed there are also a fair number of tribs in that area as well so I may give them a shot if the kooteney is huge and unfishable.

I imagine it is all cutts and bulls so I will be taking the usual big hairy flies along with some streamers and whatnot. Is my 4wt going to be enough?

I'm off to the B.C regs website to get the lowdown on any closures or special licensing I need to know about.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated, I can tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to fishing spots so I am really excited to fish somewhere new. Normally I would just explore it on my own but I only have 3 or 4 days and likely only during the evening so I'd like to roll out there slightly armed.

Thanks in advance,

Royce.

Thanks LF. I'll be in Canmore late Fri. night and probably heading out from there early sat. morning. (likely the crack of 10:30 knowing those bow valley boys).

Seems it is all classified water in that region, bummer. Shall make for a pricey weekend. Any advice to make it worth the 50 licences I'll have to buy:)

Dube, I just came back from a week down in radium. Kootenay is full on in glacial melt mode(grey colour and a lil high). Heard its best in late summer. But the smaller creeks look fine. I wouldn't fish any creeks between sinclair pass and radium either, not much holding water there. Ill post more on the Kootenay NP thread.

You can get a NP license from the tourist info shop in Radium, $35.