Fly Fusion Forums

My Worst Decision Ever

Tough lesson learned buddy. I'm glad to hear your son is ok. Don't beat yourself up about this too badly. I'm sure your a great father and accidents happen to the best of us.

I also want to thank you for making this post. By coming here and admitting to something that I'm sure most would be too embarrassed to do just to warn the rest of us shows a lot of character. I have been considering taking my older son who is 9 to the bow this year. Who knows, your post may have saved his life too since just reading yours shook me up.

Kevin,

Not so sure about the great father bit, but thanks. Also, never had a problem with discussing my failures. Figure if I can screw up, other people probably do to. Part of the deal about learning. Hopefully people learn from the mistakes of others!

Take you son, but just be smart (though others may disagree on taking your son on the Bow). There are plenty of runs to fish from the bank or in quiet water to teach him in. But really pay attention. Also, try to excercise LOTS of patience. Fly fishing is tough enough for adults to learn. Really tough for kids. Think lots of tangles! You won't get to fish nearly as much, but it is way fun when your kid hooks up!