Telephone: 613 995-9364 FAX: 613 – 992-5880

Email: Ignatieff.M@parl.gc.ca

Bob Rae

Telephone: (613) 992-5234 FAX: 613) 996-9607

Email: Rae.B@parl.gc.ca

Dominic LeBlanc

Telephone: (613) 992-1020 FAX: (613) 992-3053

Email: Leblanc.D@parl.gc.ca

According to our MP the internet petitions can't be given to parliament. Naturally they will get attention if millions sign them.

Here is an official parliamentary petition as send by our MP.

HAS to be at your MP's place by this Friday. I presume they will accept PDFs of the completed petition.

Guest Sundancefisher

I emailed the Governor General and will work on filling out the petition.

Man...this sucks. A national government controlled by separatists...

Smart move Dion and Layton! May it come back to kick ya in the head!

Governor General: Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean

Telephone: 1 800 465-6890 / 613 993-8200 Fax: (613) 998-8760

Email: info@gg.ca / smcook@gg.ca

Jack Layton

Telephone: (613) 995-7224 Fax: (613) 995-4565

Email: Layton.J@parl.gc.ca

Gilles Duceppe

Telephone: (613) 992-6779 Fax: (613) 954-2121

Email: Duceppe.G@parl.gc.ca

Stephane Dion

Telephone: (613) 996-5789 Fax: (613) 996-6562

Email: Dion.S@parl.gc.ca

Michael Ignatieff

Telephone: 613 995-9364 FAX: 613 – 992-5880

Email: Ignatieff.M@parl.gc.ca

Bob Rae

Telephone: (613) 992-5234 FAX: 613) 996-9607

Email: Rae.B@parl.gc.ca

Dominic LeBlanc

Telephone: (613) 992-1020 FAX: (613) 992-3053

Email: Leblanc.D@parl.gc.ca

According to our MP the internet petitions can't be given to parliament. Naturally they will get attention if millions sign them.

Here is an official parliamentary petition as send by our MP.

HAS to be at your MP's place by this Friday. I presume they will accept PDFs of the completed petition.

Dryfly...no offence but you gotta read that thing...no matter how much you might hate the idea, what the coalition has manovered to do is legal under our system. I'm not a big fan of it either but signing ill worded blindly angry petitions isn't the answer. To be truthful I think Harper is at fault here...alot of the anger about this problem belongs in his lap...wow did he ever screw the pooch on this one...

"but signing ill worded blindly angry petitions isn't the answer."

The link I provided above is for an an official parliamentary petition that is the ONLY type of petition that can be presented in the house ... signed hard copies in accepted format. It has to be signed and delivered to an MP for submission. No angry wording here.

The one link provided for an online petition was for a reasonable petition without angry wording:

We, as the Canadian Electorate, feel that the Coalition that has now formed consisting of the leaders of the Bloc Quebecios, the NDP and the Liberal Party are do not effectively represent me as a Canadian.

212,000 have signed it in about 36 hours.

I suspect we all agree on two things.

1) Harper screwed up big time by taunting the opposition parties with the plan to remove funding. What WAS he thinking? That alone does not justify the coalition.

2) The Bloc should not be allowed to exist as they are not a federal party. And it is the existence of the separatist Bloc that has allowed this coalition gig to happen because the NDs and Liberals could not form a coalition alone.

Oh I forgot #3...

My Prime minister should be able to speak both official languages in a way that he can be understood. Dion fails to meet that requirement.

Cheers

Clive

what the coalition has manovered to do is legal under our system.

Pythagoras:

One problem with the sudden influx of consitutional experts coming out of the closet is glaringly obvious:

I haven't heard one single Conservative supporter as of yet - on tv, radio, and internet, claim that this is illegal. And I have been wasting time following this closely. ;)

Just because something is allowed, legal, and constitutional doesn't mean its justified.

That's my problem. Could go into a whole rant, but its late - maybe tomorrow.

Smitty

1) Harper screwed up big time by taunting the opposition parties with the plan to remove funding. What WAS he thinking? That alone does not justify the coalition.

2) The Bloc should not be allowed to exist as they are not a federal party. And it is the existence of the separatist Bloc that has allowed this coalition gig to happen because the NDs and Liberals could not form a coalition alone.

Oh I forgot #3...

My Prime minister should be able to speak both official languages in a way that he can be understood. Dion fails to meet that requirement.

Cheers

Clive

I have to agree with you Clive, I am fully disgusted by all of them at this point. Keeping truck with separatists is miserable (and by the way, the Conservatives have flirted with this too..) and toying with public funding of democracy in order to gain a war chest advantage is outrageous.. I think we are governed by ill behaved children. I wish we had a reasonable set of alternatives.

al

OK...here is where the language gets muddy....

"Canadian voters provided the Conservative Party with a clear and

strengthened mandate"...well thats not true...we gave them a clear MINORITY government...not a clear mandate.

"impose an unstable, unelected Liberal-NDP-separatist coalition" - Everyone involved in the coalition was elected to a seat...and just what do you mean by unstable...my definition of unstable shows a photo of Harper in a vest.

"THAT Canadians have the democratic right to choose who will govern them and not have a surprise Prime Minister chosen through an unseemly

and undemocratic backroom deal." Ummm....we choose MLAs and they form a government...the unseemly undemocratic backroom deal is another way of saying 'how government in this system works.

Anyhoo...makes great fodder for blood pressure meds don't it?

Worst economic crisis EVER and our government takes a prolonged x-mas break to save itself from loosing its job...the 400 poor ba$tards at ATCO should have taken a few weeks off just as the axe was falling on them..

Pythagoras:

One problem with the sudden influx of consitutional experts coming out of the closet is glaringly obvious:

I haven't heard one single Conservative supporter as of yet - on tv, radio, and internet, claim that this is illegal. And I have been wasting time following this closely. ;)

Just because something is allowed, legal, and constitutional doesn't mean its justified.

That's my problem. Could go into a whole rant, but its late - maybe tomorrow.

Smitty

You may have forgotten the only two reasons for politicians to exist....1. Gain Power 2. Keep that power at any cost.

The coalition is just working on #1 and the CPC is working on #2

You may have forgotten the only two reasons for politicians to exist....1. Gain Power 2. Keep that power at any cost.

The coalition is just working on #1 and the CPC is working on #2

Pythagoras:

Didn't forget a thing. Nothing that you've tried "explaining" address's what I said at all. Whether its #1 or #2, my point is even politicians in a democracy are eventually held accountable by the voters. And then they have to justify their voting record, their deals, etc etc.

Or to put it your terms, the CPC trying to do #2 vs the coalition trying to do #1 is not equal measures. The electorate, plus the Gov. General, gave the CPC the mandate to govern; and as far as I'm concerned, the CPC haven't done anything to justify the coalition's existence after backing down from their ridiculously partisan economic update.

Now, if the government gets brought down in a non-confidence vote in January on the entire budget, well then, you have a brand new ball game.

Smitty

Could someone tell me what the end-game here is? So if Parliment is suspended until Jan, won't all parties start essentially campainging now? I'm assuming that we get a no-confidence vote on the budget. Then what? Does the coalition take over? Would there be an election? If there is an election, does anyone truly think the outcome will be any different? Why would anyone new in Eastern Canada vote conservative at this point? They can just vote NDP or Liberal and know they will get cabinet level representation from the coalition government, wouldn't they? If I'm the Libs or NDP, an election would be awesome. No chance, in my mind, the conservatives pick up seats. And in any riding where the NDP and Libs would fear a split vote, they just have either the NDP or Lib candidate pull out. Then all the NDP and Lib vote goes to that one person. Cons shut out of that riding, Liberals and NDP form the government. They both know they can't form the gov by themselves, so join forces in advance. Done deal.

From what I've heard from interviews from people back east, they don't seem to mad at the libs or NDP. Now I know that the media can put out what it wants, but I just don't see a groundswell of hate coming from anywhere but the west. Big surprise, since the west will be the big losers in all this. Whatever the case, Harper is effectively done I would think. If I'm the conservatives, I start making overtures to the libs right now saying "Ok, Harper is out. Who would you like to see in to make this all go away?"

Edit: Or I'm full of crap. Here is a cut from a CBC Poll run today:

The Conservatives appear to have won the initial public relations battle surrounding the impasse on Parliament Hill, during one of the most chaotic weeks in Canadian political history, an EKOS poll conducted for the CBC suggests.

Respondents in the two-day automated telephone survey conducted Tuesday and Wednesday were asked: "If an election were held tomorrow, which party would you vote for?"

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives received 44 per cent of respondents' support, up from the 37.6 per cent support the Tories received in the federal election that returned them to Ottawa with another minority government just seven weeks ago.

The results suggest support for Stéphane Dion's Liberals was down two percentage points from the election, with 24 per cent of respondents' support, while the New Democrats were down almost four percentage points at 14.5 per cent support.

I mentioned that I joined the liberal party last year and can't get off mailing lists. Got three today all similar, but one was from an MP (Ruby Dhalla) from Toronto begging for money. I really feel like I'm in an old episode of MASH and this came out of a propaganda bomb. I bet if i donated $100, they would spend it getting a skywriter to spell out 'Surrender Stephen' accross the sky. BTW - I have no doubt that any members of the 'Con'servative are getting similar spew from the likes of Jason k or Diane A.

Buying time

Le français suit

Dear <guy that was ever dumb enough to join the liberal party of canada>,

In an unprecedented display of arrogance and a complete abdication of his accountability to Canadians, Stephen Harper has shut down Parliament in order to avoid facing a confidence vote he knew he and his government would lose.

He has bought himself six more weeks to come up with a plan for our damaged economy – a plan that has so far eluded him.

He has also bought six more weeks for his Conservative Party to continue their advertising and PR campaign of half-truths and outright fabrications in order to shore up support in the far-too-likely event that he is unsuccessful in regaining Parliament's confidence in January.

The Liberal Party must be in a strong position to respond no matter what further machinations the Harper Conservatives introduce. Please make a donation right now of $10, $25, $100 or whatever amount you can afford.

Make sure your voice is heard. Government accountability is something we must all fight for. Please help us ensure Canada has the government we deserve.

Thank you,

Ruby Dhalla

Labour Critic

Liberal Party of Canada