Fly Fusion Forums

Any Suggestions:shopping For A Fly Tying Bench....

Golfman09

I'm in the process of getting some tying gear together and have been looking for a bench/desk to set up in my family room. It needs to close somehow as I have little kids running around the area. I'd like to stick to $400 or less ....anyone know of people locally who make anything. Any shops in Southern Alberta carry that kind of stuff? Thanks....

I'm in the process of getting some tying gear together and have been looking for a bench/desk to set up in my family room. It needs to close somehow as I have little kids running around the area. I'd like to stick to $400 or less ....anyone know of people locally who make anything. Any shops in Southern Alberta carry that kind of stuff? Thanks....

This is the perfect answer. I bought this used for my husband about 7 years ago. It's a double pedestal rolltop desk, but even a single pedestal will do the trick. Lots of drawers and shelves and the best part is that it closes and locks to keep prying fingers out. Faveri's Unpainted furniture has some nice ones that you can even finish yourself, but is probably more than you want to spend. Other than that check out kijiji and craigslist and buysell.com for some - you can find some sweet deals out there if you're in the right place at the right time. Here's a pic of Mike's - he loves it.

post-190-1228191896.jpg

Just in case you get a little hungry....

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/zip/931965585.html

I went to home hardware and just picked up nut and bolt shelves and some little cubbies. Keeps it all neat but wont stop tiny hands.

Just finished a batch of those brownies......mmmmm....I'll sleep well tonight.

Thanks for the tips....roll tops look like a good option. I'll let you know how the hunt goes.

Currently I use the Antique Sewing table, that we got when my Granny passed (like me wife will ever sew..or me for that matter). but it has 8 drawers, opens out to a 5'x2 1/2' table and closes to 3'x2 1/2' has a bench that fits underneath hold my vice and and hook containers. works perfect and when closed looks great in the Living room.

Guest RedWiggler

Something big, there is no way my stuff would fit in that desk lynn posted, mind you I would like if it were that neat and tidy. My bench/table/bench/desk hardly holds my stuff and if you are like me, tying will become like crack and there is not a piece of furniture in my basement (and some in my bedroom) that does not have some sort of flyfishing/tying material on it, its a runaway train at this point. Not to mention how much my wife loves my stuff all over the place :ninja: . Its amazing, with 2 dogs and 4 kids I am the only one that has taken a hook in the foot playing in the basement. Funny, I was at the TUC Fall Splash last week and by the time I got there I could hardly walk cause my toe hurt so bad, finally I said to the wife "I have to go take my socks off and see whats up with my toe" low and behold there was size 18 dry fly hook stuck in my big toe lol.

• 1 month later...