Fly Fusion Forums

Cool Video

Whistler

Here is a link to a video showing Eoin Fairgrieve casting the new Loop Opti Power rod (available in '09) that he designed for Loop.Eoin teaches casting at Scotlands' Center of Excellence on the River Tweed. Aside from being a champion caster, talented instructor and all around good dude, he is also the author of the wonderful children's book "My First Trout' and puts an impressive number of schoolchildren through his learn to fly fish program.

book review

I met Eoin, this past September in Denver at the dealer show as we had both been asked to do a presentation on modern two handed casting. Eoin and myself were paired up with Danish underhand casting guru Klaus Frimore to do a 1 hour presentation on the evolution of modern two handed casting at the Spey pond in Denver. It was a real treat to spend 4 days casting with these guys and compare notes on the similarities and differences of our techniques.

The spiral casting shown in the video is derived from Alexander Grant's famous Planet Cast and has little practical fishing purpose though is impressive to watch given the level of control demonstrated by Eoin.

At about :50 Eoin sneaks in a practical fishing cast. This is one of two unique casts that Eoin taught me in Denver, neat to learn a new cast as truly original casts are rare. Technique wise Eoin uses alot more lower hand than 'traditional' Scottish casters and tends toward slightly shorter lines than the true traditionalists.

I hope you enjoy:

Eoin Fairgrieve

Brian Niska

Hi Brian,

Cool Video, with a good friend of mine, but.......

The spiral casting shown in the video is derived from Alexander Grant's famous Planet Cast and has little practical fishing purpose though is impressive to watch given the level of control demonstrated by Eoin.

Eoin is one of the best Instructors there is anywhere in the world, and his Tweed show is one not to miss, and one i see Klaus at too, but the casting in the Video is nothing to do with Alexander Grant, and you can quote me on that.

Alexander Grants cast was a fishing cast, nothing like a spiral cast, or fancy dan casting, when it came to the Scottish team for the world championship, who taught Eoin... Scott Mackenzie.

While we are all good friends.... i do take issuse with Eoin saying that anything he does in the Video is anything to do will Alexander Grant,............ and had he been casting like that and with that rod.... i think the team would have come last.

Like a said.. Eoin is a great instructor and a pure gentleman and a very good friend, but the video has nothing to do with the Scottish World championship team, and nothing to do with Alexander Grant (he would have hated that kind of show boating) , i would like to see that rod handle a compitition 105 ft head line,, ouch.

Gordon.

Gord,

Eoin never said anything in the video about casting like Grant. I said that the spiral cast demonstratedwas derived from the planet cast in that the spiral motion and rotation of the hands could trace their origins back to Grant's planet cast. I do believe that Eoin finished his demo at the Denver show with a demonstration of the planet cast though it was certainly different than the spiral cast demonstrated in the video. At 14' a 105' belly would be way too long for the rod shown in the video, though the 67' er is probably close to perfect.

Brian

Hi Brian,

You should try next year to come to Eoin's Tweed show, or the CLA you would have a blast, all the guys doing demo's and the distance casters are there and its weekends i hate to miss, the crack is just brilliant.

I like the video, looks like fun, and i know Eoin well enough to know he is one of the best Instuctors there is and he was just havin fun, but great Instuctor ...that he sure is.

As for Alexander Grant, well he was in a different league, , and there is nothing in the video that has anything to do with Battan Grant (his nickname), not the wrist movement or anything else, Battan cast in a very upright style , almost closer to an overhead cast.

Anyway its good to see Eoin havin fun, you should come and watch Hywel Morgan casting and shooting line without a rod.. just his hands... and of course after the show when everybody is hanging around casting rods and drinking a beer or too, we where all trying it.. impossible for any of the guys to do, so he did it again and further.. just great fun.

Over the last 10 to 15 years all the guys in the distance casting have used rods made by Bruce and Walker, or made for them by Bruce and Walker, the only one that has beaten them all was a Signature rod made my Diawa Scotland desgined by Scott Mackenzie, Diawa UK .

Would be great if any of you guy could ever make it to one of the shows, you would love it.

Gordo.