Fly Fusion Forums

Casting The Ideal

headscan

Over the last few weeks I realized that I've found my ideal rod/line/reel combination. I can cast it in almost any situation - in close, at distance, high winds, nymphing with an indicator, dry fly, streamer - and almost always hit my target and I can cast it for hours without tiring. It has the backbone to fight a big fish but is still fun for the smaller ones. I have other good rods that I use for certain situations, but none of them cast quite as well or are as much fun as this one. It took me quite a few different rods and lines to get to this point which got me wondering. Who else has gotten to this point? How long did it take you to find it? How many people are still searching for their ideal? Just thought it might be an interesting topic for a snowy Sunday...

Oh, and if you're curious it's:

Loop Opti Coast 9'6" 7wt rod

Loop Opti Stream 7 wt line

Nautilus 8 reel

web.jpg

If we're talking the Bow, I have a Sage 690RPL+ with a FW7 and an Airflo Freshwater Tactical. If I had to own one rod, that would be it.

I do prefer a lighter rod for fishing smaller stuff, and I like the two hander for long bombing streamers in the winter.

I absolutely love Nautilus reels. I'm fishing the #10 CCF on my Beulah right now and it's sweet. Had to cut about 70 yds of the backing off to fit the Skagit on there, but it works. I have no idea how many of the other reel companies out there are selling reels for $100 more that aren't half as good. Anyone in the market for a reel should head down to Westwinds, try one out, and listen to Gord's spiel.

I use a 9 foot 5 weight for most of my fishing, from bass lakes to small trout streams, but when it comes to worm and bobber rigs it's too weak and makes the Bow experience not very enjoyable. I think I'll have to pick up a 6 or 7 weight if I fish the Bow as much as I want to this winter.

Who else has gotten to this point? How long did it take you to find it? How many people are still searching for their ideal? Just thought it might be an interesting topic for a snowy Sunday...

web.jpg

Since it's a dull evening,

The search is neverending.. I am a pretty big fan of a bit heavier rod, 6's and 8's mostly, for bigger streams. I don't use an 8 much really, though, except for pike or higher wind. I had 2 Airflo multi-tip lines that I don't really use much anymore, I got a little pissed off with always fighting with the last loop connection at the end of the rod when landing fish. So I changed to sink tip and floating on separate spools for each. I just can't bring myself to drop huge bucks on a reel, but for the fishing I do I don't feel it's necessary. I really like the drag and build of Pflueger Presidents and Trions, I think I have 6 Pfluegers (??) down to 4 wt. It's nice to be able to quickly change spools to sink tip I find. And the price is right. Never had a problem with them once. I have a Loop 4 wt Multi that is an awesome rod for smaller streams, a little more delicate obviously.. I seem to get along well with Cortland lines, they lay out nice, float well, aren't over the top price wise, and have a nice weight I find. If I can reach it, I can usually stick a fly pretty close to the mark with them. But if I had to pick I would say a 6 all around, for the backbone with streamers and the quick change over to dries, etc. I used one even on small streams at first. I snapped my TFO 6wt, which is minor, because I put that rod through hell and it stood up awesome. I would like to check out a 6 wt Multi, mainly because I like the action of the 4. I guess its like cameras, lenses, 6 strings, and tube amps, everything has its possibilities, and the search goes on.

Anyone in the market for a reel should head down to Westwinds, try one out, and listen to Gord's spiel.

Ah yes, Gord's Nautilus sermon is second only to one of his rants. I know it's worked on me four times now...

It doesn't necessarily need to be a Bow river rod, just that one rod that you love to cast and feels like it was made just for you and you have it lined perfectly so that you don't feel it could be tweaked any better. Could be a $100 combo or a $1000 one. The strangest thing for me about the Opti Coast is that I didn't test it before I bought it. Called up Whistler and told Brian what I was looking for. He asked me a bunch of questions then suggested this rod and line.