Fly Fusion Forums

Usa Vs. Alberta Trout Fishing?

I was curious if anybody had extensive experience trout fishing in the States as well as Alberta???

How do the famous trout rivers in the US such as the Bighorn, Madison, Green, San Juan, Sacramento, etc. compare with the Bow and other trout streams in Alberta?

I know many of you would side with Alberta out of loyalty but I am looking for serious opinions from people who have fished all over.

thanks

Some montana streams have a lot more fish... but a lot less really HUGE fish. They do fish "better" if better in your eyes is strictly numbers of fish. Howveer, there are a LOT more people on popular parts. If you guys think the bow is busy go fish yellowstone park on a weekday in the summer :)

California fishing doesn't hold a candle to anything we have in alberta, it's just famous becuase it's "all they have" pretty much. Hat creek isn't as good as even the sheep river IMHO, and the sheep isn't exactly alberta's best :)

Oregon has some cool places, especially down south... fished a trib out of klamath lakes and it was really sweet.

Alaska is pretty sweet... but it's hit and miss. If you hit it you'll never, EVER forget it. If you don't, you'll wonder what all the fuss is about when you spend 3 days and 35 angler hours for one king salmon.

I fished some cool and special places in the states, and although each is a unique experience, I'd say the fishing isn't "better" than what we have right here.

I would have to agree with Hawgstoppah on his assessment. Some of the rivers in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho do have more fish per mile but the average size is lower. Although the hogs and I do mean hogs exist in these streams (15 lb browns on the yellowstone). I was wade fishing a popular section of the Yellowstone one Saturday a few weeks ago and there were at least three driftboats within view of me at all times. I could not believe the boat traffic considering that it was the off season. As well there was a large number of other wading fisherpeople using the same access point.

I think we are lucky to have world class fishing within easy access that when we are fishing it we might not even see another angler. For me solitude and peace is a big part of what I like about my fly fishing experiences and from that perspective I would put my vote in for Alberta (and some streams in BC).

Fished Moraine Creek and Alagnak R. in Alaska. More fish and bigger fish ie [rainbows targeted only] than Bow R. but it cost $6000.00 to do it for 10 days camping on the rivers and floating! Will be fishing the Gunnison R., Madison R., Gallatin R., Missouri R., Frying Pan R. next summer and will report comparisons with Bow R., and other Alberta streams.

I dont think you can say which is better than the other, they are different. I have fished The Missouri numerous times and I enjoy it because it can be more stalking individual trout & challenging. The Caddis can be so thick with fish rising everywhere you dont know where to cast next and what fly to use because you have used every caddis in your box.

I have also fished the Big Hole and caught Rainbows, Browns & Grayling the same day.

Also the Beaverhead is just awesome,Huge rainbows on tiny nymphs.

The Ruby is a small intimate little stream with gorgeous browns, but with challenges of it own with access restrictions.

The Madison is like they say one big riffle and fish can anywhere, the edges, or the middle & then fished the Yellowstone then the Jefferson.

We fished all these rivers in a week and caught fish in all of them. We were guided on some them & some not. It wasnt the numbers of fish or the size of the fish(because 1 river we only caught the one & I probably think of that 1 more than any of them) that made the trip, it was the scenery, the different water, the towns, the flyshops & the people.

I dont think you can say which is better than the other, they are different. I have fished The Missouri numerous times and I enjoy it because it can be more stalking individual trout & challenging. The Caddis can be so thick with fish rising everywhere you dont know where to cast next and what fly to use because you have used every caddis in your box.

I have also fished the Big Hole and caught Rainbows, Browns & Grayling the same day.

Also the Beaverhead is just awesome,Huge rainbows on tiny nymphs.

The Ruby is a small intimate little stream with gorgeous browns, but with challenges of it own with access restrictions.

The Madison is like they say one big riffle and fish can anywhere, the edges, or the middle & then fished the Yellowstone then the Jefferson.

We fished all these rivers in a week and caught fish in all of them. We were guided on some them & some not. It wasnt the numbers of fish or the size of the fish(because 1 river we only caught the one & I probably think of that 1 more than any of them) that made the trip, it was the scenery, the different water, the towns, the flyshops & the people.

Your last paragragh says what fishing should be all about. Unfortunately a lot of the fishermen on the Bow R. seem more concerned about numbers, size, pics, and, not the overall outdoor experience. This is coming from a guy who fishes a lot, doesn't catch a lot, but, has a great day anyway. I've done numerous trips like yours, some with little success, but all memorable experiences like yours. Headin to the Bow for another fun challenging day!

I have fished and guided on most rivers in the Western region all my life and I have to say the only river that even comes close in the way of number, size and fighting ability of the Bow River is the North Platte River in Wyoming. I will even narrow it down to the two sections of the river being "The Miralce Mile" and "Grey Reef" sections. I have (1) 30 " rainbow outta there and (2) 31 " browns outta there. All streamer fish (double sculpin patterns). The Miracle Mile flows outta Seminole Resevoir into Cortes Resevoir (which has limited access) then into the Miracle Mile which flows approx. 7 miles into Pathfinder Resevoir. The BIG PIGS come up outta Pathfinder to feed whenever they want. Average fish 16-18 inches and they are not dryfly friendly. The pelicans have them scared to even show themselves. I witnessed (3) shocking programs the Divison of Wildlife preformed and OMG the quanitity of pigs they brought up was wicked. The Miracle Mile has unlimited access but Grey Reef does not but there is still alot of water to fish.

The Green River below the Flaming Gorge Resevoir (Utah) (A) section is an awesome river but alot of those fish feel like dishrags when they are caught. They have been caught A bazillion times and know the drill. B and C section which basically needs to be floated too is better but nothing like the Bow. I'll add that the crowds suck too. I have encountered a few times Mr. Chin selling his own flies on the river and telling me my flies suck (even though I caught that morning 30 + fish including a 24" brown on ants) LOL LOL LOL. This was way back in time though 15 years ago.

Green River below Fontanelle Resevoir - Tailwater- (Wyoming) -- This section is off the hook especially from September to October. The Kokanee come up from Flaming Gorge Resevoir to spawn and every damn Brown and Rainbow follows. Skittering sedges and mice with the Spey Rod ( it's a wide river like the Bow) will give you the best chance of a fish of a lifetime. This section of river does not really get fished that much. SHHHHHHHH this is a a bonus for all you FFC guys since you all helped me with fishing Alberta while I living in Banff with my girlfriend. The hatches on the river are awesome too average fish 17"-18" with comparable numbers to the Bow at times.

The South Platte River (CO) will test 100% of your skills and can give to a trophy fish photo of a life time but it does not have the numbers the Bow has most of the year. (1) rainbow 29". 7x and 8x tippet is needed most of the time. Access sucks though.

The Blue River in Silverthorn (CO) is a classic tailwater that flows through town and is also a fine fishery ( I have (2) 30" rainbows and (1) 31" Brown outta that skinny water the size of the Highwood. All caught on mysis shrimp patterns site fishing, and 6x tippet.

The Frying Pan River (CO) is another classic tailwater but private property definetly hampers access. " The Toilet Bowl Hole" right below Ruedi Resevoir is an awesome spot but can be so over crowded it will drive you insane. Not the numbers of fish the bow has. But big pigs are there (1) 26" rainbow and (1) 28" brown my biggest along with (1) 22" Brookie roughly 6 lbs. 6x is key

San Juan River-- I have never seen so many fished with snag marks in my life from one body of water. After a days fishign You could practically restock a box with all the flies you take off of the fishes back and fins LOL LOL . There are tons of fish though. My favorite way to fish this river is at night floating it throwing double sculpin patterns on straight 20 lb flourocarbon as leader.

With all of this said I believe any place you can fish is a good place you just have to spend time on the water regardless of if its in Alberta or the USA. All waters have there own spot in my heart.

Tight Lines and Sharp Hooks

Robert

fishinmagician - when did you fish the Alagnak? Upper or lower? Were you guided?

Sept.1-10 2008- I was supposed to do a combo Moraine Creek 3 1/2 days and 6 1/2 days on the Alagnak. 50 mph + winds prevented plane getting onto lake with access to Moraine, so I fished the Alagnak for 10 days. Started the trip at head of Nonvianuk R which is a tributary of the Alagnak. It was a guided float trip with 6 guys in 2 pontoon boats. Camped in 3 spots, and, most of the fishing was done walking and wading from the campsites. Fished thru and below the braids. Unfortunately it rained 10 straight days and water levels were the highest in the last 20 yrs. according to the guide. Fishing was still good, but would have been a lot better with normal water levels for this time of the yr. Majority of the fish caught size wise were similar to what we catch on the Bow. Caught a few silvers ie.reds, plus grayling in a few spots. Disappointed not to be able to fish Moraine as the fish there were a lot bigger on the trip I did in 2006 ie rainbows. I booked to do the combo trip again in 2009. Cost is $4900.00 plus air to Anchorage and into King Salmon. Guide was Paul Hansen with Alaska Rainbow Adventures.