Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon

hey everyone...

I just bought an Outcast Discovery 8 (not the IR) and never had it in the water yet and never even used one before period.I have oared boats surfed canoes and generally been around water lots but I'm looking for advice on this type of boating and floating the Bow first of all,is there anything on the river that would be too much for this boat? ....how are these boats for rubbing rocks and branches etc.....I'm thinking it should be decent for the little rapids and fair for punctures resistance but anyone with experience could fill me in a little better that would be great!! (hazards etc)..I know some of these rapids prbly look bigger when your sittin ON the water.....

Also what kind of fins would be good ....I doubt i will be buying the 140 dollars ones but input again would be much appreciated.Where are the put ins for here in the city.....and what kinda float times are we talkin to policemans etc

anything else from the 'tooners' would be great....mods or whatever that has worked for you..looks like a great little boat for river fishing...can't wait

thanks!!

and if anyone is looking to meet up to do a float just let me know....

There should be nothing on the bow that will scare you.

The odd big rock, concrete block or sweeper are about all that can hurt.

There are a few spots you'll find this time of year that are too shallow, and end up walking to find deeper water.

The biggest advice I can give you is to keep an oar in the water, not the downstream one!

You'll find yourself looking for an oar if times get tough and you need to move quickly.

I have Outcast fins and they are ok. I quite honestly only ever use my oars when I have to row downstream against the wind. Other than that I only use the fins and the oars are hooked in the oar holders. I find that once you get used to fins only you will love the freedom of having both hands free to fish. Please note that this is only on the Bow river. In nastier water I only use the oars.

haha ...^ that's good advice!!

thx for the comebacks there guys ...but if someone could give some put in locations and some rough drift times til I figure it out myself that'd be great.I was gonna go looking for put ins tonight but I spent the evening looking for a PFD,picked up a cheap one for now but I am looking at the floater coats by Mustang ...kinda pricey for right now,put it on the wishlist!!

I'm pretty sure there's a drop at glenmore,I know there's one at fishcreek by 22X ....so let's say times from glenmore to 22x then 22x to Policemans....what's after that,MacKinnons?

wicked,right on,thx

Glenmore to fishcreek,can be done in under 3 hours if you float in the middle and dont stop ,but everybody stops so say 5 hours ,give or take a few.Same for 22x to police ,if your catchin fish its gonna take longer .If its raining you'd be surprised how fast you can row ...Just start in the am and you'll be fine