Fly Fusion Forums

Costa Rica Tackle

Jayhad

Hey guys I have another trip planned and there is no point going unless I am going to be fishing.

I am headed to the west coast of Costa Rica, more specificly St. Teresa, Mal Pais. I will be there from Dec 11-24. What should I fish with and for. I don't want to be deep sea fishing, I have spent tonnes of times in boats in the Pacific.

If anyone could give me an idea or two it would be peachy.

Thanks

Top water plugs (red and white) long casting rod 15 lb test. Jacks past ten off the beach & Roosters past fifteen off the rocks, one small Amber and a few other toothy creatures including a Yellow Fin of about 7 lbs (yummy) and a Gar about three feet long (two feet of teeth) bring extra long needle nose as my regular size were woefully short for this type of fishing. Hard ware is not my cup of tea usually but, I just used old equipment that has been laying around for years or I inherited and it was a big hoot for absolutly free. When I left I gave all the equipment away to one of the local Tico's Henry who for no reason at all went out of his way to show me how to go about beach fishing and it was appreciated as I was going in blind (prarie boy). We shouldn't be to quick to judge the locals as fishing is how they get food to eat and to trade for other food not for sport and catch and release wasn't in Henrys play book and I couldn't blame him. I loved it and I'll be going back this winter unless our buck hits 50 cents us.