Fly Fusion Forums

Setting On The Swing...

alhuger

All,

Lately I've been swinging streamers on the bow and I am finding I am hooking up on about 50% of my takes. My technique is to cast, mend, keep it straight and then when I feel a reasonable grab I set back towards the bank. I do not set on light taps but only on substantial pulls. I know from fishing bulls on coastal streams I do not set at all but rather let them hang themselves on the fly. In fact when I set I lose them more often than not. Is my technique for the bow correct? Or rather is there a better way to do this?

I'm no pro, but from what I've been told before, 50% is on par. It is supposed to have something to do with the way the hook faces and where they get hooked... It's more the technique, i.e. the actual swing, and less the skill, i.e the angler (but I'm sure a few on here will disagree!)! :goodvsevil():

Cheers,

P

All,

Lately I've been swinging streamers on the bow and I am finding I am hooking up on about 50% of my takes. My technique is to cast, mend, keep it straight and then when I feel a reasonable grab I set back towards the bank. I do not set on light taps but only on substantial pulls. I know from fishing bulls on coastal streams I do not set at all but rather let them hang themselves on the fly. In fact when I set I lose them more often than not. Is my technique for the bow correct? Or rather is there a better way to do this?

Personally I try to strip set without moving the rod. A good 8-12" pull on the line does the trick. If they're there you just lift the rod and you're off - if not, just count to three and they usually nail the fly. Setting with the rod moves the fly way too far and pulls it right out of the zone.

Sometimes you'll strip set three times on the taps and then POW you're on.