Fly Fusion Forums

Perch Fishing

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone want extra perch I am catching? I can call when I have a bunch or call when they are biting and have you help and then all them away.

Unfortunately I am sick of eating so many perch... I need a break.

PM me with a phone number.

Sun

Why don't you catch and release like the majority of us? I will usually have one camp side meal a year but the rest are put back.

If I had to guess, I'd say Sundance is trying to do his part to thin the perch population in

Lake Sundance. This leaves more food for the trout to grow big & strong (theoretically).

Sundancefisher, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Later,

Steve

Guest Sundancefisher
If I had to guess, I'd say Sundance is trying to do his part to thin the perch population in

Lake Sundance. This leaves more food for the trout to grow big & strong (theoretically).

Sundancefisher, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Later,

Steve

Yup...Perch ain't supposed to be there. That being said we have to deal with it now. I can often catch 10-40 perch an hour. My whole house would not be big enough for a freezer and my lawn would be 2 feet higher on top of all the rotting perch.

It does make great fertilizer.

Cheers

Sun

Yup...Perch ain't supposed to be there. That being said we have to deal with it now. I can often catch 10-40 perch an hour. My whole house would not be big enough for a freezer and my lawn would be 2 feet higher on top of all the rotting perch.

It does make great fertilizer.

Cheers

Sun

Sorry my bad, I didn' t realize that there were so many pearch in those community lakes

native fish gone really wild.

They got any size and/or been catchin' them on a light flyrod? could be a hoot on a 2wt and micro leeches

AGREED! I've gots myself a 2 weight, never caught no perch on a fly rod before. That would be fun.

Guest Sundancefisher
AGREED! I've gots myself a 2 weight, never caught no perch on a fly rod before. That would be fun.

While they bite way better with a perch eyeball on a jig...I have caught hundreds now on a fly under an indicator. Small leaches, shrimp and chinomid patterns have worked. Sometime they are fickle and need bait and other time they are biting anything and everything. Biggest ever is 16 inches. Last week I caught about 25 over 10 inches. Biggest last week was 12 inches.

Bonus right now seems that they are fighting way better. PM me if you want to try and catch some on a fly when the weather is fine. Best time is about 2 hours before dark until dark.

Cheers

Sun

Guest Outcasts

You know what ive been fishing lake midnapore if i only have a couple hours and go fishing with buddies who dont flyfish and ive been finding the population of perch to not affect the trout fishing. If anything i believe its the reason for the size of the triploids in there, i say this because if im not flyfishing it im trolling, makes smoking a little easier, and when i troll they hammer my small pure gold spoon that to me resembles a small fish...maybe even a perch which is of course the only reproducing fish in the lake. And these fish that are hammering the spoons are at biggest wieighed was just over 7 lbs. Heard of 10 but only confirm 7. In anycase i use my aqua vu to fish the lake in winter and have observed the behavior of these fish. So Id drop the cam, the perch would hammer just about anything small enough to fit in theyre mouths and that would last about 20-30 minutes until a rainbow showed up. The first thing this rainbow did is hammer my cam (which is a perch of course!) and immediately more bows would show up and not a single perch could be found so i doubt the competition is killing the population of bows they just over power them like lions on hyenas. So im in the grey area on whether to keep or throw back cause its stated in the lake regs you HAVE to kill or keep any perch caught but that might mean a solid loss in size of these rainbows, you cant grow big on just insects you need some good ol protien filled meat and why else would they hit a gold spoon an inch thick! I dont think the hatchery feeds them anything but manufactured fish food. But them again a 16" perch is massive (would like to see a pic of that fish!), too big for a reg bow, and at an avarage of over 10" thats a large population of big fish so diff lake might matter...hows the bow fishing?

Anyone want extra perch I am catching? I can call when I have a bunch or call when they are biting and have you help and then all them away.

Unfortunately I am sick of eating so many perch... I need a break.

PM me with a phone number.

Sun

hey i would love to have good little fish fry. if you dont mind throwing some my way i would really appreciate it. my number is 477-2594 thanks a lot.

nick