Fly Fusion Forums

Portland, Or - Willamette

headscan

Has anyone fished the Willamette in and around Portland? I'm going to be in Portland for work later this month and I'm wondering if it's worth bringing a long rod with me. If I have to go too far outside of Portland for a shot at anything then I probably won't bother. Any other options that I'm not aware of in the area?

Has anyone fished the Willamette in and around Portland? I'm going to be in Portland for work later this month and I'm wondering if it's worth bringing a long rod with me. If I have to go too far outside of Portland for a shot at anything then I probably won't bother. Any other options that I'm not aware of in the area?

-------------------------

I used to live in Portland many years ago, and there wasn't much caught in the Willamette in the area immediately around Portland (at least at that time), except for Spring Chinooks around March or April (mostly trolling or anchor fishing from boats with gear). Your best best might be the Sandy River which is only 10 to 20 miles away. There is a run of silver salmon around Sept-Nov, and seasonal runs of summer and winter steelhead. Also, the Deschutes River is about a 2 hour drive away from Portland and there is usually good summer and fall steelhead fishing there. You should check out the Welches Fly Shop website at flyfish@flyfishusa.com , or Google it, as they have lots of info on fly and Spey fishing, river reports, etc, as well as info on guided trips on the Sandy and the Deschutes.

Also there are some rivers near the coast (about 90 minutes away), such as the Trask where large Fall Chinooks up to 60 lbs or so used to be caught on fly tackle in October and November (I don't know about current conditions). (I caught 53 and 34 lb Chinooks in the Trask one day several years ago on red yarn and eggs, before I was into fly fishing). You might also find some info about the Trask or other coastal rivers by contacting or phoning Jim Teeny , the developer of Teeny fly lines, located in the Portland area (Gresham, OR). (see his website, http://www.jimteeny.com/index.html)

-------------------------

I used to live in Portland many years ago, and there wasn't much caught in the Willamette in the area immediately around Portland (at least at that time), except for Spring Chinooks around March or April (mostly trolling or anchor fishing from boats with gear). Your best best might be the Sandy River which is only 10 to 20 miles away. There is a run of silver salmon around Sept-Nov, and seasonal runs of summer and winter steelhead. Also, the Deschutes River is about a 2 hour drive away from Portland and there is usually good summer and fall steelhead fishing there. You should check out the Welches Fly Shop website at flyfish@flyfishusa.com , or Google it, as they have lots of info on fly and Spey fishing, river reports, etc, as well as info on guided trips on the Sandy and the Deschutes.

Also there are some rivers near the coast (about 90 minutes away), such as the Trask where large Fall Chinooks up to 60 lbs or so used to be caught on fly tackle in October and November (I don't know about current conditions). (I caught 53 and 34 lb Chinooks in the Trask one day several years ago on red yarn and eggs, before I was into fly fishing). You might also find some info about the Trask or other coastal rivers by contacting or phoning Jim Teeny , the developer of Teeny fly lines, located in the Portland area (Gresham, OR). (see his website, http://www.jimteeny.com/index.html)

I also grew up in Portland and only fished the Clackamas river around Estacada, I used to take the Trimet bus out there in the morning and walk about 3 or 4 miles and fish all day then come back and take the last bus home. I was pretty new to fly fishing when I lived there. Have a great trip when you go.

would love to hear how ya did when ya get back.

SW