Fly Fusion Forums

Line Wallets?

headscan

Now that I've moved to using mono running lines on my spey reels I'm stuck trying to carry my various heads around. I have a Rio wallet for my skagit tips, but it's too small to fit scandi and skagit heads. When I google the only results I get back are for the same Rio wallet and a Cortland one that looks to be the same size or smaller. Does anyone have a suggestion where to find something like the Rio wallet only large enough for heads?

Now that I've moved to using mono running lines on my spey reels I'm stuck trying to carry my various heads around. I have a Rio wallet for my skagit tips, but it's too small to fit scandi and skagit heads. When I google the only results I get back are for the same Rio wallet and a Cortland one that looks to be the same size or smaller. Does anyone have a suggestion where to find something like the Rio wallet only large enough for heads?

Rio also makes a larger version than you get with their multi tip lines, although it's not whole ton bigger. Lots of guys are using CD cases, they can be had very cheap at most dollar stores(punch some holes with a hole punch for ventilation). The Bass Guy's down south use worm wallets which can be had at the most large outdoor/fishing type stores some are alittle big but others are just right. Attached are some pic's of a fellow spey casters adapted head wallet from Cabela's (which looks about perfect for my needs). or for a cool four hundy you can have the dream set up like toolman :pimp: . Have a surf through some of the large online retailers tackle organizers and check what they have. I'm in need of something larger as well I'll see what I can track down and I'll post what I find.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0036308120691a

-Cam

post-1946-1220210159.jpg

Yeah, that's much bigger than what I'm looking for. I'd like something that I can fit into a jacket or shirt pocket when I travel light. If the Rio wallet was just an inch taller and maybe half an inch thicker that would be exactly what I want. Maybe next time I'm in Wholesale or Russel's I'll take a look at those worm wallets if they have them.

Yeah, that's much bigger than what I'm looking for. I'd like something that I can fit into a jacket or shirt pocket when I travel light. If the Rio wallet was just an inch taller and maybe half an inch thicker that would be exactly what I want. Maybe next time I'm in Wholesale or Russel's I'll take a look at those worm wallets if they have them.

I think Rio has what your looking for then. The wallets they sell come in two sizes regular and large, the Reg. fits 15ft tips and the Lrg. fits 30ft shooting heads. I thought you were looking to upstage toolman and his kit... :D I'm in the market for the Large one as well I'll let you know if I drum up a good deal...

post-1946-1220218613.jpg

Headscan,

I have an airflo wallet loaded up with 20ft of t-14, 15 ft of W/C floating tip, 5ft and 10 ft cheaters, a 300 grain 24 ft bigboy, 400 grain 24 ft bigboy, 500 grain 24ft bigboy and 600 grain 24ft bigboy...pretty full wallet however is does its job...for a Scando head and Skagit head it should work but thats about all she'll hold...But wallets are way cool to have and i pack 4 with me so think you may be that guy. B)

that looks pretty dope cam.. was thinking about checking a cde store and getting a cd wallet with zipper pouches or check out hwolesale or suomehting and get a spinnerbait wallet.. serves the same function if u can find one at a local shop

Headscan,

I have an airflo wallet loaded up with 20ft of t-14, 15 ft of W/C floating tip, 5ft and 10 ft cheaters, a 300 grain 24 ft bigboy, 400 grain 24 ft bigboy, 500 grain 24ft bigboy and 600 grain 24ft bigboy...pretty full wallet however is does its job...for a Scando head and Skagit head it should work but thats about all she'll hold...But wallets are way cool to have and i pack 4 with me so think you may be that guy. B)

Did you get the Airflo wallet locally? I looked on their website and didn't see it. I'm ok with having more than one of them and just having all the lines for one rod in one wallet, then the tips in another. Don't like to have too much in a single spot anyways. Almost had a heart attack when I dropped my tip wallet in a few feet of water once...

It is an oversized "large" wallet that I had to order from flyfishusa at the time....I'm sure a shop here in Calgary can order in or find the wallet...Rio makes one as Cam has attached and Airflo does also. I can imagine that you don't wanna lose your Scando/Skagit wallet..I would tie a rope from that wallet to your wrist with that wallet..tips are cheap to replace....lines are not. almost cried one time i blew my Skagit head off @ my nail knot to my slickshooter and watched it swing into a log jam...spent 30 mins and almost died a few times over trying to get it back...ended up going shopping and getting a new 550 grain skagit.

almost cried one time i blew my Skagit head off @ my nail knot to my slickshooter and watched it swing into a log jam...spent 30 mins and almost died a few times over trying to get it back...ended up going shopping and getting a new 550 grain skagit.

Heh, this is exactly my greatest fear since moving to mono running lines. I'm using loops instead of a nail knot, but a loop can fail too...

Heh, this is exactly my greatest fear since moving to mono running lines. I'm using loops instead of a nail knot, but a loop can fail too...

The reason I prefer nail knots rather than loops is 1. Shooting line with a nail knot is much more productive than with loops..I find you lose way too much energy as the loop clunks its way through the guides....Nail knots do not lose as much energy..2. When fishing in "Icy" conditions the impact of ice on a nail knot is very minimal...Loops seems to accumulate ice and really get clunky. 3. When fighting a fish and the nail knot hauls through the guides @ mach 10 not much clunking....the loop wants to take guides out with it. The weakness of the Nail knot is you must constaintly be on top off it to make sure you are not pulling through your existing running line...if you don't then you lose your line :crybaby:

The reason I prefer nail knots rather than loops is 1. Shooting line with a nail knot is much more productive than with loops..I find you lose way too much energy as the loop clunks its way through the guides....Nail knots do not lose as much energy..2. When fishing in "Icy" conditions the impact of ice on a nail knot is very minimal...Loops seems to accumulate ice and really get clunky. 3. When fighting a fish and the nail knot hauls through the guides @ mach 10 not much clunking....the loop wants to take guides out with it. The weakness of the Nail knot is you must constaintly be on top off it to make sure you are not pulling through your existing running line...if you don't then you lose your line :crybaby:

Since I'm using scandi and skagit heads the loop is pretty much always outside my rod tip when I cast, so I'm not concerned about that. Plus part of the reason I went to mono running line was to switch between heads without having to change spools. I'll keep the icing in mind for the winter, though.

I like using a Uni-knot/Speed knail knot, instead of traditional nail knots. The Uni-knot is perfect for attaching mono running lines to heads, leaders to the front end of the fly line and even making folded loops. You can also use the Double Uni-knot to replace Surgeons loops when joining tippets together. It is a much stronger knot than the Surgeons loop. IMO

Speed Nail Knot...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1348305525

Uni-Knot...

http://www.netknots.com/html/uni_knot.html

Double Uni-Knot...

http://www.netknots.com/html/double_uni_knot.html