Fly Fusion Forums

Decho

headscan

Picked up a 12'2" 5 weight Dec Hogan Echo (Decho) rod at Fish Tales today. Lined it with an 8 weight Airflo 40+ head attached to an SA mono shooting line and 10 foot floating polyleader.

In short, this is a kick ass light spey set up. At 12'2" the rod is a good length without being too heavy and has an action that totally suits my casting style. Feels just as good shooting a few rod lengths of running line or just moving the head around. I was on river left (my weak side) and still managing to get beautiful casts on doubles, circles, and snake rolls with little effort. Can't wait to get the Airflo Compact Skagit 420 so I can give that a whirl on it.

As a bonus while I was getting it dialed in I hooked a smallish rainbow. He wasn't big enough to go to the reel or anything, but still managed to put a good bend in the rod and didn't feel like I could just surf him in with it.

Yes, I'm aware that I have an illness. I call it RAD - Rod Acquisition Disorder.

Uh..Oh...sounds like that stick's not going back to Fish Tales anytime soon.

I test casted a 6wt Decho for a few minutes, which was pretty good, but....

(I found it a bit "Clunky"... <--poke--<... Dec.) :lol:

You'll have to bring your 5122 to the next spey gathering for us to try.

Isn't clunky how Dec described the Deer Creek? The Decho has a nice medium action that feels like it almost flexes to the cork (have to see someone else cast it to watch the flex). I didn't feel that I needed to adjust my casting from the Goran to this rod. Fantastic rod for around $300. Anyone looking for an entry-priced two-hander has to consider these rods alongside the Deer Creek.

Ok, I completely retract what I said about the Rio AFS head. I gave it another try today and it works incredibly well. Since I don't have a skagit head for this rod yet I used it to throw some big streamers. It was a little tougher than using a skagit, but still got the job done.