Fly Fusion Forums

Upper Oldman Bulls

bigalcal

I was fishing the Upper Oldman last week and came across a deep pool with 3 large bulls sitting in it. I decided to pull out my 1 streamer, a Zonker, given to me by a fellow flyfisherman while fishing a few weeks ago. I put on a bunch of split shot and threw it in. Much to my surprise I got a hit and had a bullie on for a few seconds. I am heading to the same place in a few days and I was wondering what technique I should use to try and get one of them. I have a sinking tip line that I could put on. I need suggestions on weight, length of leader and strength, and a few fly suggestions. Also where to cast in the pool and stripping techniques. I NEVER use streamers and I have know idea how. I am a 95% dry guy. Any advice would be appreciated.

The sink tip would be a good idea for the start. I like to use a 3.5' of T8 then have 4-5' of leader than a nice big splitshot and then the fly. Different retreives work for different bulls. Some like it swung, some like it strip, and some just like an easy meal just struggling to move on bottom.

I put on a bunch of split shot and threw it in. Much to my surprise I got a hit and had a bullie on ................ heading to the same place in a few days and I was wondering what technique I should use to try and get one of them.

You answered your own question :)

Split shot, streamer, and cast it into anywhere YOU would hide if you were going to ambush other fish. think like a fish...

Any big Bunny Streamer should do the trick, but as Hawgstoppah and the others on our BC trip recently can attest to, it isn't necessarily the fly that is the problem.

If the fish sees you, it will remain in its spot, but won't take anything you offer it.

I've found that if you use stealth, you can catch them. It is deceiving because they don't move like other Trout, but they shut down. They see a lot of anglers and Streamers together, so they associate the two. If they see a streamer, but no Angler, they are definitely more likely to bite.

For example....When we first started out on Friday, I scooped a nice run loaded with Bullies and started casting upstream to them so they couldn't see me. I instantly hooked into 4 in my first series of casts. Once I got the "Fever" and let the fish know I was there, they turned off and it became near impossible to get them to show interest,but they didn't move.

Try casting from behind cover or upstream to them. If they find out you're there, try sitting down for a bit and try again. They seem to forget fairly quick.

Try dead drifting a White/Pink Bunny to them. Don't make the tail too long to avoid short strikes also.

Stealth is important on a small piece of water as MTB says. Don't concentrate on the slack water in pools where you see bull trout resting. Bull trout feed in areas where whitefish and trout feed. Dead drifting streamers works well. It's hard to dead drift in some currents though. Hope this helps.

Bulls have been my interest lately..... kind of shitty with most of the good ones headed upstream to spawn, but i have managed a few smaller guys. Im no expert but have found that smaller clousers and bow buggers to be the most effective and most takes were one the swing or first pull/pause. Today i got a nice bigger guy stripping a chernobyl ant across the top like a popper, that came as a huge suprise! almost a scare haha