Fly Fusion Forums

Eating Whitefish

Man this hits close to my heart! I grew up in Cochrane fishing down below the bridge, and every weekend my best friend Andy and I would be down there scoopin a few Rockies before the water came up to bring home and my Grandpa would always fry em up for us. Really simple recipe, just dip em in milk and beaten eggs and lightly dust with flour, season, and in a hot pan with some oil fry em quickly, making sure to cook the flour out and finish with some butter and lemon juice and parsley.

Also, I know you dont have a smoker, but man whitefish has to be one of the tastiest fishes we have around to smoke. Absolutely awesome! You can pick up a decent smoker at that big Outdoor store near Ikea for like 150$ Well worth it!

Oh, and I just remembered, another way we would cook em up was to put them on a baking sheet that had been wrapped in tin foil. Shave some garlic, fresh parsley, fresh basil or rosemary from the garden, some lemon juice and olive oil over top. Season with salt and pepper and place some more tin foil over top wrapping it all up and place in the oven at like 350 C for 15 minutes or so until the fish is beautifully cooked. Finish with some nice butter and delicious!

Damn, I'm getting hungry!

yes they are tastey! My greek gramma used to cook em up old country style. Sorry can't help you with the recipe but DonniM's advice is sure to work. Very tasty. I remember eatin the tail like a potato chip and chewin on the eyeballs to boot. Greeks don't waste anything. Don't think i'm as brave now as I was when I was 6.

I'd cook it the same way I cook halibut. Dredge in some ranch salad dressing or buttermilk and then roll around in some crushed kettle chips (like the sea salt and vinegar ones) and bake at 425 until done. Best way to eat white fish of any kind IMHO.

Thanks everyone.

I took one home from the Elbow the other day, it was my first time filleting a fish and it worked out surprisingly well. I just fried it up with garlic butter and a splash of lime juice, and it was honestly some of the best fish I've ever had. I have a new-found appreciation for rockies :P

Next time I'll try some of the tips here.