Fly Fusion Forums

Can't Hook Into Fish

dimi

Lately I've been getting aggravated. I show up to my favorite spot @ 6am, pull out my favorite clouser minnow and start casting. Now its a deep pool I'm fishing and there is always a ton of hungry fish in the morning. I'm using a floating line with split shots to bring the streamer even deeper. So I cast across and retrieve downstream in fast snips. I get 3 very hard hits my first 3 casts, none of which results in a fish, then the fish get spooked and the fishing is done. This has happened twice. I have a hook sharpener and its sharp as :$*%&: . I met some fishermen around fish creek that were using the same streamer and for the 4 hits he had he landed 3 fish. What am I doing wrong here!?!? Should I retrieve slow or fast, big or small snips? I used to do this morning routine while spinner casting and it was very efficient. Any suggestions?

Edit: Could I maybe put the split shots on the tip of the fly line essentially making it a sink tip?

I would first off take a look at the fly. Is there a large tail on it? It could be fish hitting the tail of the fly and not connecting ith the hook. This used to happen often to me when fishing wooly buggers. Shortening the tail helped to increase the hook rate. The other thing I would suggest is to wait an extra second or 2 before setting the hook. See if you can get together with one of the more expreienced fishers on the board. They can offer som great tips if they can see you in action.

Try a few different flies as well. Once the clouser has crossed the pool a few times, it wouldn't hurt to change things up. San Juan Worms, Bead head nymphs and other streamers would be a good start here. Hope that helps a bit.

try setting up with a shock look... (some slack in oyur line by your rod and reel) once u get teh hit drop the slack then set.. give the fish a chance to suck the fly back.. it could be the lateness on your hooksetting too. i prefer a strip set when streamer fishing.... but there could bea bunch of factors why u arnt hooing fish... it might jstu be a territorial responce too.

I'm a fan of the strip set for more control like Max. I find it gives a better and immediate hook set. When you try to set by raising the rod it opens up a host of problems. Think about it this way, when the rod tip goes up, it produces a slack downward loop, it then slowly tightens the line. Too many actions there and not direct enough. you do need direct contact between your line and the fly with no slack for good hookups. A bankside movement of the rod tip would produce a decent set also.

If a trout hits the streamer as a territorial hit it is usually along the flank of the other fish or minnow. When a trout feeds it normally strikes at the head not the tail. A feeding trout would chock to death taking in a Minnow or Sculpin by the tail because of the spines. I often have a quick sharp strike by a large trout followed by a strong take. Thus the timing of a slight pause befor setting your hook Trout will do a quick stunning hit then turn and take the prey. I once watched a big brown stun my mudder three times before turning and gulping the fly. I watched the action and paused the fly after the first few hits and quivered it a bit. If i would have kept it swimming it would not have been natural. You have to be the prey. A long shank streamer hook is harder to set than a short shank, and harder to keep a hook set.

Hope this helps a bit.